[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW, etc. on CD-ROM: encrypt 'em

des7f@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (David Sappington) (05/06/90)

[discussion about APDA shipping MPW tools, compilers, etc. on CD-ROM]
[  more discussion about developers begin forced to buy unwanted    ]
[  products just to get the CD-ROM.                                 ]

Perhaps APDA should follow the lead of some commerical outfits that ship
(say) Postscript fonts on CD-ROM.  In other words pack MPW, all languages
and related products, and anything else that they can think of (and fits)
on a CD-ROM.  The catch?  Encrpyt everything! (Well maybe not ResEdit and
stuff like that.)  I'm not sure how they should handle decription/payment
but two approaches might be:

1)  Ship a floppy with the CD-ROM that contains the decoding program(s)
    for whatever the developer bought.

2)  Ship the decoder on the CD-ROM but charge for the cypher keys.  APDA
    could include the appropriate keys on paper when they ship the CD-ROM
	or perhaps give them out over the phone for credit card orders.

How about it APDA?  Maybe someone should throw this to Apple's lawyers
and see what they think -- let them do something useful for once :-).

Dave Sappington                     des7f@virginia.edu
Institute for Parallel Computation  des7f@virginia.bitnet
University of Virginia

philip@goofy.Berkeley.EDU (Philip Machanick) (05/08/90)

In article <1313@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU>, des7f@ra.cs.Virginia.EDU (David
Sappington) writes:
> Perhaps APDA should follow the lead of some commerical outfits that ship
> (say) Postscript fonts on CD-ROM.  In other words pack MPW, all languages
> and related products, and anything else that they can think of (and fits)
> on a CD-ROM.  The catch?  Encrpyt everything! (Well maybe not ResEdit and
> stuff like that.)  I'm not sure how they should handle decription/payment
> but two approaches might be:
Better idea: include everything on the CD ROM at a reasonably low price, and
charge extra for the manuals.

Philip Machanick
philip@pescadero.stanford.edu