[comp.sys.mac.programmer] PICT format

kw1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Whitley) (08/03/88)

I need to be able to read the information in a PICT resource, such as a drawing
program puts on the Clipboard.  I have read Tech note #21 and it is a start,
but it isn't complete.  First of all it assumes that one knows the format of
Regions - what is the format of Regions?  And second it says "this information
is only valid for Quickdraw picture format 1.0 (created by 128k ROMs)"  Ok,
what is the format of PICTs created by other ROMs?  What else is missing?

I realize that "you're not supposed to look at the internals" but alas, I
really need to.  Help.

Kevin Whitley
cT language developer
CDEC,  Carnegie-Mellon University
kw1r@andrew.cmu.edu

bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) (08/03/88)

Kevin -

  Look in Inside Macintosh V, page V-103. The new opcodes are listed
there. They are basically just an add on to the old ones, near as I
can figure.

  As for the format of a region, sorry, but I can't help you there.

Bob Hablutzel

jkingdon@chinet.chi.il.us (James Kingdon) (08/04/88)

In article <YWxX4ly00VQX8KXEcc@andrew.cmu.edu> kw1r+@andrew.cmu.edu (Kevin Whitley) writes:
>I need to be able to read the information in a PICT resource, such as a drawing
>program puts on the Clipboard.

Another way of doing this other than knowing the format of the PICT resource
is to replace the QuickDraw standard routines with SetStdProcs, and then
do a DrawPicture.  Sounds like it would be slower than doing the whole
thing yourself, but it would probably be easier and more amenable to various
versions of the system software.  Unfortunately, I know nothing about
how regions are stored.

Disclaimer:  I have never written a program to do this, so I can't say
firsthand how well it works.

drc@claris.UUCP (Dennis Cohen) (08/04/88)

In article <10050006@eecs.nwu.edu> bob@eecs.nwu.edu (Bob Hablutzel) responds
to someone named Ken:
>  As for the format of a region, sorry, but I can't help you there.

Ken,

This subject was discussed at length in MacTutor about 1 to 1 1/2 years ago.
There was a great deal of detail concerning how it relates one scan line to
the next and what bits get set in the descriptor words.  I would give more
information (and more precise, too) except that I'm only about 1/3 of the way
through unpacking my den and I haven't gotten to the box with the MacTutors
yet, or any of the other magazines.

If you can't find the solution, e-mail me after this weekend and I'll be able
to find the issue and answer your question better.  The best paths to me are:
	sun!claris!drc
and
	ames!claris!drc

Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.
------------
Disclaimer:  Any opinions expressed above are _MINE_!

ycy@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Joseph Yip) (11/18/89)

Sorry folks, I need to know the format of Mac PICT file. I need to
convert some images into PICT to be printed on the Mac.

The PICT info. is not in Inside Mac I, II, III.

Joseph

rickf@Apple.COM (Rick Fleischman) (11/18/89)

In article <21079@ut-emx.UUCP> ycy@walt.cc.utexas.edu (Joseph Yip) writes:
>Sorry folks, I need to know the format of Mac PICT file. I need to
>convert some images into PICT to be printed on the Mac.
>
>The PICT info. is not in Inside Mac I, II, III.
>
>Joseph

You may be interested in the PICT File Format Notes and Disk Set which
is available through APDA.  P/N: M0054LL/A, Price: $20.00
You can reach APDA at (800) 282-2732.

Rick Fleischman
Developer Channels/APDA
Apple Computer, Inc.
e-mail:  rickf@apple.com
AppleLink:  FLEISCHMAN@applelink.apple.com

oster@dewey.soe.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster) (11/18/89)

The PICT file format is also in Inside Mac vol 5.

dixit@gringo.usc.edu (vish dixit) (05/08/90)

Where can I find the description of Macintosh PICT files?
I need to read them on a unix machine.
Some source code would be perfect, the format description
would be nice, but a pointer to documentation is good enough.
Thanks
vish
dixit@gringo.usc.edu