[comp.sys.mac.programmer] A/UX 2.0 & comp.unix.aux

billkatt@mondo.engin.umich.edu (billkatt) (05/26/90)

In article <7243@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:
>In article <1875@xn.LL.MIT.EDU> delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney) writes:
>>Hey, gang! You have got your own group for discussing A/UX. How about
>>moving the current, expanding A/UX thread over there.
>

>  I think, as a synthesis of the MacOS and A/UX, it's pertinent to all of
>us.  Especially given that many of us on USENET are UNIX users, and might be
>considering purchasing such a thing.

I disagree.  Those who care can read comp.os.aux (is that right?)  We aren't
ALL UNIX users here.  This way we can have a choice of what we wish to read.
If it is pertinent to you, YOU can read it.  If it isn't pertinent to me, I
don't have to.  If you are considering purchasing it, by all means, research
it, and there is a group for that.

>  Now when all these A/UX 2.0 users start trying to reconfigure the kernel,
>that discussion probably won't belong here.

Actually, that's one of the first things you have to do if you use LocalTalk or
NFS.  It is VERY easy and clearly explained in the manual.

Steve Bollinger                                                    ____/|
909 Church St. Apt C                                               \ o.O|
Ann Arbor, Mi. 48104                                                =(_)=
(313)-662-4073 -home (313)-763-3070 -work                             U
billkatt@caen.engin.umich.edu                               -ACK ACK ACK ACK!
                                                              "thhhhppppttt!"

ksand@appleoz.oz.au (Kent Sandvik) (05/28/90)

delaney@xn.ll.mit.edu (John R. Delaney) writes in article <1878@xn.LL.MIT.EDU>:

:    >  I think, as a synthesis of the MacOS and A/UX, it's pertinent to all of
:    >us.  Especially given that many of us on USENET are UNIX users, and might be
:    >considering purchasing such a thing.
:    >
:    >  Now when all these A/UX 2.0 users start trying to reconfigure the kernel,
:    >that discussion probably won't belong here.
:
:    If one is discussing the overlap of the regular MacOS and A/UX, I would
:    still hope the message would go to comp.unix.aux as the subject isn't of
:    interest except to those who have or are contemplating having A/UX. But
:    I wouldn't nudge like I did.

General compability issues (nonOS oriented programming habits) are very
important issues, and should be discussed about in this group.  Things
about A/UX UNIX related matters really belong to comp.unix.aux, IMHO.

Kent

--
Kent Sandvik            --  Apple Australia Developer Tech Support
{uunet,mcvax}!munnari!appleoz.oz!ksand, ksand@appleoz.oz.au (OR ksand@apple.com)