[comp.sys.mac.programmer] restricting acess to laser printer

con_jdc@umt.UUCP (John-David Childs) (06/04/90)

In article <1990May28.162130.16730@Neon.Stanford.EDU>, kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) writes:
>> In article <1594@wacsvax.OZ> peter@wacsvax.OZ (Peter Dodd) writes:
>>
>> -We have recently developed an INIT to restrict access to network printers.
>
> Some applications (notably PageMaker and FreeHand) don't use EITHER PrGlue
> or the old calls.  They have their own drivers built in, and just use the
> Resources from the standard LW driver.  Hence, patching PrGlue in this way
> is doomed to failure.

I apologize for possibly "butting in" to this thread, but I have been trying
to solve a similar problem. I consider myself a good programmer for IBM PC
machines (I understand assembly, DOS system calls, etc.) but I have just
started programming on the Mac. (2 weeks ago!!) In three hours, I was able
to get up to speed with ResEdit and modify the LW DLOG (I dont remember
the number...it was 2nd from the bottom in LW version 5.2) to put in a
warning sign in big letters saying that if you click the OK button you
will be charged for the pages printed NO EXCUSES. I tried to change the
"default" button from OK to CANCEL (using "back to front" under the DITL
menu), but WordPerfect BOMBED (literally!).

	Thus I have TWO questions. First, how make CANCEL the default
button choice (non "super-technical" answers please). Second, please
reccomend some good "beginner but not too stupid" guides to the mac os.
I dont want books explaining how to use WordPerfect (The Big Mac Book
comes to mind), but the "Inside The Macintosh" guides were a wee bit over
my head for right now. How did you guys learn the Mac OS/Toolbox?

				Thanks,
                _/        \_   |John-David Childs_| UUCP: ...!apple!umt!con_jdc
            _/           _____\|      /   \       | Bitnet/Internet:
              \_            _/ |        -         |    umt!con_jdc@apple.com
                \__________/   |Semper ubi sub ubi|