[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Sound and other tidbits

gt0228b@prism.gatech.EDU (FALCO,VINNIE) (05/31/90)

   Here is what I have found out about the Sound Manager and about people
   in general :

 There is a big Word file describing the Sound Manager at Apple.com. I
 just recently figured out that you can ftp Apple.com with account
 'anonymous' and password 'guest', and I believe there are many other
 Macintosh users on the net who do not know this. Since no one bothered
 to tell me, I assume that everyone who DOES know thinks that everyone
 in general knows (this must be false :)

 As for the Sound Manager : I have not successfully been able to include
 sounds into any of my programs without one of three things happening :
 a) no sound at all is generated
 b) the computer makes obnoxious clicks like an old Apple II
 c) I hear my sound a few times, never asyncrhonously, and then
    I receive a lame SYSTEM ERROR, and for some reason the
    restart button *never* works, but just makes the video card insane.

 All of my code has followed Inside Macintosh guidelines as well as
 the Sound Manager addendum guidelines, but to no avail. In desperation
 I have tried commands at random, trying to permute every possible combination
 of Sound Manager calls, but this does not work.

 Also, I am a little in the dark as to what sound hardware actually exists
 in all post SE Macs. All I hear from Apple is that "The programs should not
 be concerned with the sound hardware itself, but rather, deal with the
 synthesizers instead, since the sound capabilites of the Macintosh are
 likely to change". This is of course, the most ridiculous thing I have
 every heard. If someone wrote a music program according to this, and
 programmed in a
 Bach Concerto in eight voices, poor Mac users would only hear four of the
 voices!.

 I would like to know if it is indeed possible to have four simultaneous
 digitized sounds going on at the same time, and exactly what kind of
 sound capabilities the Macintosh has. Studio Sessions, with some amazing
 trick, allows SIX SIMULTANEOUS DIGITIZED VOICES!!! (!) Why the 32k limit
 on instruments, I do not know. I also am wondering why I have not seen
 a quality music program written as of late that uses 'snd ' resources
 (so you can make your own instruments). Deluxe Music Construction Set
 is by far the best program in terms of quality output and notation,
 but has the lamest sounding instruments, and you cannot import 'snd '
 resources into it.

 There must be some facility to compose a tune using (at least four)
 digitized sounds at once, and then in your program, start the song
 (presumable while the user is saving the galaxy from space invaders,
 or entering some dungeon or another) while the program continues.

 SoundEdit, which is part of the software that comes with the Farallon
 MacRecorder (an excellent device, cheap, and useful, since sounds
 are like fonts and graphics on the Mac, that can be used in many places),
 is an excellent program, so good that I have actually constructed
 sounds from scratch by layering effect on effect and mixing in different
 sine waves and their harmonic overtones. I am wondering what kind of
 'snd' resource (type 1 or type 2) it produces, and how to use those
 in a program, since it is by far the most useful.

 If everyone who knew a few tidbits about the Sound Manager, the sound
 hardware, and sound in general, would contribute a couple of scraps of
 knowledge here and there, I would appreciate it very much.
 T.I.V., Vin

gurney@cpsin2.uucp (Eddy J Gurney) (06/01/90)

In article <9972@hydra.gatech.EDU> FALCO,VINNIE writes:
> ...As for the Sound Manager : I have not successfully been able to include
> sounds into any of my programs without one of three things happening :
> a) no sound at all is generated
> b) the computer makes obnoxious clicks like an old Apple II
> c) I hear my sound a few times, never asyncrhonously, and then
>    I receive a lame SYSTEM ERROR, and for some reason the
>    restart button *never* works, but just makes the video card insane.
>
> All of my code has followed Inside Macintosh guidelines as well as
> the Sound Manager addendum guidelines, but to no avail. In desperation
> I have tried commands at random, trying to permute every possible combination
> of Sound Manager calls, but this does not work.
>
> Also, I am a little in the dark as to what sound hardware actually exists
> in all post SE Macs. All I hear from Apple is that "The programs should not
> be concerned with the sound hardware itself, but rather, deal with the
> synthesizers instead, since the sound capabilites of the Macintosh are
> likely to change".
>
>    [stuff deleted]
>
> If everyone who knew a few tidbits about the Sound Manager, the sound
> hardware, and sound in general, would contribute a couple of scraps of
> knowledge here and there, I would appreciate it very much.

Well, the stuff about not getting the Sound Manager to generate any sound
at all sounds familiar.  I can get same faint clicks and a system error
every once in a while, but that's about it.

How about some sample code (maybe from Mac DTS as SC-023 or whatever number
they're up to?) that uses the three synthesizers documented in IM V.
Personally, I'm interested in the WaveFormSynthesizer, with a simple SINE
wave, and two channels of sound, so I can produce two tones simultaneously.

Any comments, code (Think C :-) or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
(I can't even find any source on any of the multitudes of anonmous FTP
sites that have Mac stuff!)

Back to trying to get my IIcx to beep...
--
Eddy J. Gurney, N8FPW -- gurney@frith.egr.msu.edu   OR   17158EJG@MSU.BITNET
                         (reachable via uucp also)

mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) (06/01/90)

  Mac DTS has created a sample application called SoundApp.  Source for it
is on the "Wanda" developer CD, but even if you don't have it you might be
able to find someone who does.

  DTS folks:  Any chance that SoundApp could be put into the normal Sample
Code set so that it can be distributed more widely?

-- Mark Wilkins
--
  "According  to  our  contract, at  precisely  midnight  of  the  night
  of her greatest triumph,  the party of the first  part,  (that's you),

In article <7355@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>  Mac DTS has created a sample application called SoundApp.  Source for it
>is on the "Wanda" developer CD, but even if you don't have it you might be
>able to find someone who does.

Could someone who has this CD mail me a binhex'd copy of it?  It would be
much appreciated.  (And any other Sound Manager-related info that might be
floating around.)

Thanks...
--

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/02/90)

In article <7355@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>  Mac DTS has created a sample application called SoundApp.  Source for it
>is on the "Wanda" developer CD, but even if you don't have it you might be
>able to find someone who does.
>
>  DTS folks:  Any chance that SoundApp could be put into the normal Sample
>Code set so that it can be distributed more widely?

Done. SoundApp was mailed 2 weeks ago to developers as part of the
regular Sample Code series. It will appear in the DTS Sample code
folders in future versions of the Developer Series CD. It should be on
AppleLink in the DTS Sample Code folder, and should be on our ftp site
by now. If not, then drop Mark Johnson a line at mjohnson@apple.com,
and let him know that you're interested in seeing it at the ftp site.

On second thought, that may not be such a good idea. I think that we
ran out of disk space for the DTS information, and are working on
getting more. Until then, we may not be able to put up the most recent
technotes and sample code.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

mjohnson@Apple.COM (Mark B. Johnson) (06/05/90)

In article <7355@jarthur.Claremont.EDU> mwilkins@jarthur.Claremont.EDU (Mark Wilkins) writes:

>  Mac DTS has created a sample application called SoundApp.  Source for it
>is on the "Wanda" developer CD, but even if you don't have it you might be
>able to find someone who does.
>
>  DTS folks:  Any chance that SoundApp could be put into the normal Sample
>Code set so that it can be distributed more widely?

If Keith has not already answered this, the answer is yes, it is in the
May 1990 release.  It will be available (along with lots of other updates) on
the Apple FTP site as soon as we clear some more disk space.

--
Mark B. Johnson                                            AppleLink: mjohnson
Developer Technical Support                         domain: mjohnson@Apple.com

"You gave your life to become the person you are right now.  Was it worth it?"
                                                         - Richard Bach, _One_