[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ATalk Session Protocol

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (06/04/90)

I've been trying to create a program which uses AppleTalk Sesssion Protocol.
I can open a socket and bind a name to it, but I can't open a session.
ASPOpenSession returns -1069 (no servers at that location) when I try to
connect to my server's address.  The adress is correct.

According the Inside Appletalk, I need to do a SPInit and SPGetSession
on the server side before the client (workstation in Apple's terms)
calls OpenSession.  However, neither SPInit nor SPGetSession exist in
the MPW or THINK Appletalk libraries.  Is this a documentation problem?
Do I actually have to make these calls or is Inside Appletalk talking
about theory?

If anyone has some sample source code, that would also be greatly
appretiated.  Thanks.

        - Lunarmobiscuit

enwall@apple.com (Tim Enwall) (06/07/90)

In article <gaOKHe200Uh7M16khN@andrew.cmu.edu> ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu
(Michael A. Libes) writes:
> According the Inside Appletalk, I need to do a SPInit and SPGetSession
> on the server side before the client (workstation in Apple's terms)
> calls OpenSession.  However, neither SPInit nor SPGetSession exist in
> the MPW or THINK Appletalk libraries.  Is this a documentation problem?
> Do I actually have to make these calls or is Inside Appletalk talking
> about theory?

lunarmobiscuit,

Unfortunately the ASP server-side calls are not implemented.  It's up to
the developer (you) to understand the protocol presented in Inside
AppleTalk and create those functions.

If you look at the AppleTalk Managers in IM 1-V, you'll see some of the
ASP calls documented, but they're only the workstation side.

That should explain why ThinkC and MPW don't have those calls.

I think the reason behind this was that developers would want to implement
their server functionality differently, and Apple (I guess) just chose not
to implement them.

Tim Enwall,
Developer Technical Support neophyte.
/* usual disclaimer goes here: i.e. the words expressed in this posting are mine and mine alone.  They do not represent the opinions are implied consent of Apple Computer, Inc. and all that jazz.*/