[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Inhibiting major switching under MultiFinder

news@cs.UAlberta.CA (News Administrator) (06/10/90)

References
From: simon@alberta.uucp (Simon Tortike)

I have a program for creating (x,y) data by user input from a mouse
or from a certain type of digitizing tablet.  One user wishes to
work with scanned graphs directly on the screen, and was able to do
this by starting another (drawing or equivalent) application to display
the image, and then starting my program to do the work.  A dBoxProc type
window was displayed during the digitizing period, and this user could
move his mouse around, click, etc, without MultiFinder paying attention
to this (I did not know about this until I checked TN# 180: MF Misc.).
The dialogs got in the way, and he asked me to implement movable dialogs
so that the data scanning to continue.  I have done so, with an rDocProc
type of window.  Of course, MultiFinder now grabs the mouse clicks and
does a major switch.  Is there a way I can get MultiFinder to suspend
major switching at this point without going back to a dBoxProc dialog,
or putting image display support into my own program?  I have found  no
clues in the tech. note stack.

The dialogs are there to provide information to the user during the
digitizing.  Putting up a small dBoxProc as the front window somewhere out
of the way is a possible solution, but I would prefer some way of doing
without this.

Thanks,
-------------------
W. Simon Tortike,                         | tel    : 403/492-3338
Dept of Mining, Metallurgical             | fax    : 403/492-7219
      and Petroleum Engineering,          | CA*net : simon@cs.UAlberta.CA
University of Alberta,                    | uucp   : simon@alberta.uucp
Edmonton, AB, CANADA T6G 2G6.             |

dm@everexn.uucp (Dan McMullen) (06/12/90)

In <1990Jun10.010643.5803@cs.UAlberta.CA> news@cs.UAlberta.CA (News Administrator) writes:

>Is there a way I can get MultiFinder to suspend
>major switching at this point without going back to a dBoxProc dialog,
>or putting image display support into my own program?

Currently, multifinder will refuse to do a major task switch if:

a. the varCode of the window is 1 (==dBoxProc), OR
b. the high bit of the spareFlag in the windowRecord is set.

this info from a recent query i made to macdts.  i got bit by this behavior
when a custom WDEF used varCode==1, and would refuse to do the task switch
like i expected, so that's one possible solution.  setting the bit in spareFlag
might work, but i haven't tried this.

any comments from Apple as to whether these solutions will continue to work
in the future?

--
dan mcmullen, everex systems, inc.                              (707) 823-0733
dm@everexn.uu.net                   ...!{well!fico2,pacbell!mslbrb}!everexn!dm