[comp.sys.mac.programmer] runs fine on IIx,IIcx - bombs on SE

tgarman@me.ri.cmu.edu (T R Garman) (06/12/90)

HELP!

I am writing an app using MacApp and it bombs on an SE but runs fine
on a IIx or IIcx.

The problem shows itself when I choose a menu item that brings
up a dialog box.  The menu works, the cursor changes to a watch, and
then it dumps into the debugger and gives the error:

Error 28: Stack has grown into heap.

the dialog box does not show up.

Both SEs that I tried this on had 2.5 megs of memory and I was using
my LaCie hard drive with the same system(6.1.4 Fin/6.0.4Sys) on both
machines.

Is something different on the SE that would cause this??? :-(

My deadlline was yesterday...

any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

T.R. Garman

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (06/13/90)

In article <9597@pt.cs.cmu.edu> tgarman@me.ri.cmu.edu (T R Garman) writes:
>HELP!
>
>I am writing an app using MacApp and it bombs on an SE but runs fine
>on a IIx or IIcx.
>
>The problem shows itself when I choose a menu item that brings
>up a dialog box.  The menu works, the cursor changes to a watch, and
>then it dumps into the debugger and gives the error:
>
>Error 28: Stack has grown into heap.
>
>the dialog box does not show up.
>
>Both SEs that I tried this on had 2.5 megs of memory and I was using
>my LaCie hard drive with the same system(6.1.4 Fin/6.0.4Sys) on both
>machines.
>
>Is something different on the SE that would cause this??? :-(

If your stack is running into your heap, then you need a bigger stack
(machines with Color QuickDraw set up your application with a 24K stack
versus 8K on other machines). You can get a larger stack by adding the
following resource to your Res source file:

#define kMyAppMemResourceID 1000
resource 'mem!' (kMyAppMemResourceID,
#if qNames
        "MyAppMemResource",
#endif
        purgeable) {
        0,                              // Add to temporary reserve
        0,                              // Add to permanent reserve
        8192                    // Add to stack space
};

Adjust that final number until you no longer get the error.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions