[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MPW 3.1 doesn't work ???? ATW incompetents.

pascal@altitude.CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) (06/29/90)

I FINALLY got my MPW package from Apple Technical Warehouse (the 'official'
source in Canada).

I'm upset... I told my boss I needed the "MPW C and Pascal bundle" to being
work on a project (THINK didn't work, no shared libraries).  So anyway, he
calls ATW, pays 10$ to become a "member" (what a joke...) and orders the
said "bundle".

36-48 hours later, we got two binders with PHOTOCOPIED documentation and
TWO DISKS....  TWO DISKS?????  Yup, we got screwed.

I call ATW, the package is obviously missing DISKS, and why the photocopied
documentation?  They have NO IDEA as to what I'm "missing"...  They send
me the "toolbox interface/libraries", saying it will solve my problems.

Another 2 days wasted, I get the stuff....  There's no MPW SHELL to be
found, NO INSTALLER !!!!  I'm really PO'd right now (deadlines to meet)
and decide to give them hell.  They tell me that we never ordered
MPW itself, we *only* ordered the C and Pascal ...  Are they nuts????

I respond by telling them that when you buy a car, you don't HAVE to
specify that you want an engine..!!!  They respond by saying that
"they don't know the products technically, they only SELL them".  Geez,
isn't there such a thing as TRAINING??? I wasn't asking for Tech support,
I was looking to BUY a development system.  They tell me we have to pay
another $180 for "MPW itself" because it's a seperate part number. I argue,
but they obviously don't give a damn, since THEY didn't put MPW on the
invoice.  I ask about why _WE_ in Canada get photocopied docs instead
of the real thing....  They say that's all that Apple Canada is "allowed"
to do or something, I call it theft !

Another 1 1/2 days, I get everything and decide to install the thing.

The installer DOES NOT WORK, it mearly copied the disks to the MPW folder
WITHOUT placing any of the files in the proper folders. I'm upset.
Luckily, Appendix _A_ showed the proper file structure and I was able to
manually install everything.  Doesn't ANYONE do any quality control on this
stuff????  Does ATW get the wrong installer disk?????

Can anyone direct me to some sample source code for the standard OPEN
dialog box , Scroll bars in Pascal, Printing (flexible, generic?) and
the full-box (I have Inside Mac I-II-III, no mention of the full box
anywhere) ???  An FTP site or E-Mailing of this code would be greatly
appreciated.

| Pascal Gosselin          |    Internet: pascal@altitude.CAM.ORG    |
| Gest-Mac Inc. Apple VAR  |    (514) 939-1127     CIS: 72757,1570   |

In article <1990Jun29.045846.3673@altitude.CAM.ORG> pascal@altitude.CAM.ORG (Pascal Gosselin) writes:

>I'm upset... I told my boss I needed the "MPW C and Pascal bundle" to being
>work on a project (THINK didn't work, no shared libraries).  So anyway, he
>calls ATW, pays 10$ to become a "member" (what a joke...) and orders the
>said "bundle".
$10?  Wow, I recall paying $20... That's a separate issue, though.

>Another 2 days wasted, I get the stuff....  There's no MPW SHELL to be
>found, NO INSTALLER !!!!  I'm really PO'd right now (deadlines to meet)
>and decide to give them hell.  They tell me that we never ordered
>MPW itself, we *only* ordered the C and Pascal ...  Are they nuts????

If you ordered the 'bundle' -- they lie. The bundle includes C and Pascal
AND the shell.  Check your order form-- the 'bundle' is B0032LL/E, whereas
the two languages are B0237LL/C and B0235LL/C.  The bundle should also
include SADE.  (source: APDALOG)

>invoice.  I ask about why _WE_ in Canada get photocopied docs instead
>of the real thing....  They say that's all that Apple Canada is "allowed"
>to do or something, I call it theft !
How do you know the docs are photocopied?  The stuff I got for MPW
2.02 LOOKS photocopied, but it could have been laserprinted too.

>Can anyone direct me to some sample source code for the standard OPEN
>dialog box , Scroll bars in Pascal, Printing (flexible, generic?) and
>the full-box (I have Inside Mac I-II-III, no mention of the full box
>anywhere) ???  An FTP site or E-Mailing of this code would be greatly
>appreciated.

The zoom-box is in IM IV.  Lots of sample code is available at apple.com.
][, ][+, ///, ///+, //e, //c, IIGS, //c+ --- Any questions?
      George:  Read your OWN lips