[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Problems interacting with Pyro

dinapoli@rodan.acs.syr.edu (Ron DiNapoli) (07/04/90)

In article <1115@peyote.cactus.org> rdd@peyote.cactus.org (Robert Dorsett) writes:
>Has the Pyro screen-saver been known to cause any unique problems with
>Macintosh software?  I am experiencing rather consistent problems (crashes,
>instantaneous reboots) with a program I'm working on.  It only occurs if
>Pyro's active.
>
>I'd be more specific, but I could, I wouldn't be asking...:-)
>

>---
>Robert Dorsett
>Internet: rdd@peyote.cactus.org
>UUCP: ...cs.utexas.edu!peyote.cactus.org!rdd

In my office we have five copies of Pyro! (The latest version).  On our
three Mac IIs we've never had a problem.  However, we also have two Mac Plus
computers and Pyro has never seemes to work quite right.  On both machines,
Pyro will occasionally refuse to kick in...  It seems as if it wants to because
the busy light on the hard-drive keeps flickering on and off.  On the older of
these two machines (also only has 1MB whereas the latter has 4MB), there will be times
when the system kinda freezes up... the mouse is still active but clicking on
any icon has no effect... menus cannot be dropped down and applications cannot
be run.  The only remedy is to reboot the machine.

On a separate note, the latest version of our Prolog product (still in develop-
ment) has had occasional clashes with Pyro.  On these rare occasions an Illegal
Instruction error occurs right when Pyro kicks in.

The people at Fifth Generation Systems are aware that our product and theirs
don't always get along together and I will be spending time this month trying
to prove or disprove that assertion!  I have not told them, however, about the
more general problem with the Mac Plus in our office.

Anyone else having these problems?

Ron DiNapoli
Applied Logic Systems, Inc.