[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Cross-assemblers for Mac

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (07/07/90)

In <8094@ur-cc.UUCP>, Lars Kellogg-Stedman
(kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu) writes:

>Does anyone know if a 6502/6510 cross assembler exists for the Mac?
>Hopefully something that uses standard mnemonics and pseudo-ops.

Yes! A company called Micro Dialects sells a whole assortment of cross-
assemblers for the Mac. Their number mASM-6502 (that 'm' should be a 'mu'
for 'micro') works with the whole 6502, 65C02 and 65C00 family.
They also have cross-assemblers for the following:

mASM-6801: 6801, 6301, 6803, 6303, 6800, 6802, 6808
mASM-HC11: 68HC11, 6801, 6803, 6800, 6802, 6808
mASM-6804: 6804, 68HC04
mASM-6805: 6805, 6305, 146805, 68HC05
mASM-6809: 6809, 6309
mASM-8048: 8048, 80C48, 8049, 8050, 8044, 8021, 8022
mASM-8051: 8051, 80C51, 8052
mASM-8085: 8085, 8080 families
mASM-8096: 8096, 80C196 families
mASM-1802: 1802, 1804, 1805, 1805A, 1806
mASM-400:  COP400 family
mASM-6502: 6502, 65C02, 65C00 family
mASM-Z8:   Z8 family
mASM-Z80:  Z80, Z180/HD64180 family

Most of these work with all manufacturers and all work with
all suffixes.

They probably have others by now.

Their assemblers include communications software to talk to your
EPROM programmer and a multi-windowed RAM-based text editor with such
features as auto-save and multi-file search and replace.

The assemblers can produce object listings, symbol tables, error files,
and absolute object files. They also feature infinitely nestable macros,
local labels, automatic labels, and you can "include" other files.
You can have named sections, conditional assembly and a symbol table
cross-reference.

You need the equivalent of a Mac Plus or better, running System 6.0 or
later.

The last price I saw was $149.95 for each assembler, + $4 s/h per order.

Micro Dialects
P.O. Box 30014
Cincinnati, OH 45230

Voice: (513) 271-9100
FAX:   (513) 271-4922

MCI Mail: 'MICRODIALECTS'
AppleLink: 'MDI'

I have no connection with this company other than becoming a customer as
soon as I have saved up the bucks.

Lyle D. Gunderson N6KSZ | "Any technology without       | ldg@yoda.byu.edu
350 CB/BYU              | some attendant risk of misuse | CIS: 73760,2354
Provo UT 84602          | is probably trivial"          | GEnie: L.GUNDERSON

ldg@yoda.byu.edu (07/08/90)

hawley@adobe.COM (Steve Hawley) (07/09/90)

In article <185ldg@yoda.byu.edu> ldg@yoda.byu.edu (Lyle D. Gunderson) writes:
>In <8094@ur-cc.UUCP>, Lars Kellogg-Stedman
>(kellogg@prodigal.psych.rochester.edu) writes:
>
>>Does anyone know if a 6502/6510 cross assembler exists for the Mac?
>>Hopefully something that uses standard mnemonics and pseudo-ops.
>
>Yes! A company called Micro Dialects sells a whole assortment of cross-
>assemblers for the Mac. Their number mASM-6502 (that 'm' should be a 'mu'
>for 'micro') works with the whole 6502, 65C02 and 65C00 family.

>The last price I saw was $149.95 for each assembler, + $4 s/h per order.

Or, if you don't want to spend any money, send me e-mail and I will send
you a version of a 1-pass 6502 assembler that is written for unix machines
(it compiles on the Mac under Think C, but needs a little tweaking to make
sure that the arguments passed to malloc() are longs not ints).

It is pretty fast, supports huge labels and the following pseudo ops:
.or	set origin or program
.eq	constant definition
.as	ascii string
.hs	hex string
.bs	block storage

Any label reference can include a positive or negative displacement.

Generates 2 completely non-standard formats because I had no idea of what
the standards were, but they're E-Z to translate.

Generates a symbol table, error messages, etc.

Since you get the source, you can dick around with this as much as you want.

Also, if you so choose, you can get my 6502 interpretter which does an
instruction for instruction interpretation of a 6502 processor with a really
gross command-line interface, and a pretty primitive monitor.  It can read
(guess what?) both of the file formats generated by my assembler.  It also
has hooks to get into the operating system by reserving addresses $F000-FFFF
as traps.  Doing a JSR or JMP to these addreses executes an IO function.
I have a demo that acts like "cat".

Free for both.

Steve Hawley
hawley@adobe.com
--
"A blow on the head is... ...worth two in the bush." -Basil Fawlty