[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Free Macintosh Scheme

freeman@argosy.UUCP (Jay R. Freeman) (07/01/90)

    I have written a shareware Scheme implementation for the Apple
Macintosh.  Until 1 August 1990, I will be happy to (US) mail a free
copy to anyone who sends me a 3.5-inch 800K disk and a self-addressed
return mailer WITH ENOUGH POSTAGE to get it back to you.

    "Free" means that I encourage recipients of disks thus obtained to
ignore the program's built-in appeal for a shareware donation.

    Mail to:
                         Jay Reynolds Freeman
                           P. O. Box 60628
                       Palo Alto, CA, 94306-0628

    If I should get more requests than I can handle, I will have to
return empty disks.  I think that's very unlikely.

    For those who don't know, Scheme is a dialect of Lisp.  For those
who do know, my implementation is a nearly-complete "R3" Scheme
interpreter, with a few extra features.  It should run on a Mac Plus
or on any later Macintosh.

    I have no FTP access and subscribe to no commercial on-line
services, so I cannot get my project to the various usual places, and
the distribution seems too large for comp.binaries.mac.

    I hope it does not breach netiquette to post this item:  Shareware
appears regularly on comp.binaries.<etc>, so I concluded it was OK.

                                         -- Jay Reynolds Freeman

       <canonical disclaimer -- all opinions herein are my own>

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (07/06/90)

In article <601@argosy.UUCP> freeman@MasPar.COM (Jay Reynolds Freeman) writes:

>    I have written a shareware Scheme implementation for the Apple
>Macintosh.

You realise of course that there is a *very inexpensive* and very well
implemented scheme for Macintosh: Scheme Express or MacScheme Student
editions, and the latter comes in a book. Why should anyone be interested
in "yet another" implementation ?? What is it that makes your implementation
special? [I am not trying to be cynical... I am just curious]

oz
---
Sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks. | oz@nexus.yorku.ca
				  Dennis Ritchie  | or (416) 736 5257

freeman@argosy.UUCP (Jay R. Freeman) (07/08/90)

In article <12383@yunexus.YorkU.CA> you write:
>In article <601@argosy.UUCP> freeman@MasPar.COM (Jay Reynolds Freeman) writes:
>>
>>    I have written a shareware Scheme implementation for the Apple
>>Macintosh.
>
>You realise of course that there is a *very inexpensive* and very well
>implemented scheme for Macintosh: Scheme Express or MacScheme Student
>editions, and the latter comes in a book.

I didn't know LightShip Software (I think that is what they are called
now) had released a student edition:  I am a registered user of
MacScheme/Toolsmith, and I am surprised they haven't mailed me any
advertising on it.  Perhaps I have moved too often and have fallen off
a mailing list.  Where is it advertised and how much does it cost?

Is "Scheme Express" the same as "MacScheme Student Edition"?

>                                          Why should anyone be interested
>in "yet another" implementation ??

Well, I don't know if anyone is.  I shall have to wait and see.

>                                   What is it that makes your implementation
>special? [I am not trying to be cynical... I am just curious]

I wrote my implementation, "Pixie Scheme", because I like Scheme and
wanted one to play with, that I could modify to suit myself.  That
takes source, and I thought the best way to get source I understood
(?) was to write it.

So I coded and coded.  Part way through, it occured to me that if I
got the program into reasonable shape, it might be a useful public
service to make it available as shareware, or perhaps to put it in
public domain.  (The least expensive MacScheme at that time was $125,
I think, which might set some folks back a bit.)  I decided on
shareware because I was curious to see who (if anyone) used it: I
thought more people would be willing to send me a dollar (my suggested
shareware donation) than a post card or a letter.  I will be
flabbergasted if I gross more than the price of an occasional cup of
coffee from the program.

Anyhow, Pixie Scheme is a nearly complete "R3" Scheme.  The most
notable lacks are:  No support for complex numbers, no support for
rationals with numerator and denominator stored as separate integers,
"mutation" procedures (set-car!, etc.)  are not prevented from
altering constants, and decimal numeric printing and scanning is only
IEEE, not the much tougher standard specified by the R3 report.

My implementation is (essentially) interpreted: It is *much* slower
than (e. g.) MacScheme's compiled code, possibly excepting programs
that make heavy use of the 68881.  I may release a compiler some day.

What you get on your 800K disk is two versions of the program -- one
that runs on a Mac Plus or better, one that requires a 68020-or-better
and a 68881-or-better, a couple of saved worlds, a HyperCard stack
that describes the implementation, and a few other things.

                                           -- Jay Freeman

	  <canonical disclaimer -- I speak only for myself>

oz@yunexus.yorku.ca (Ozan Yigit) (07/10/90)

In article <606@argosy.UUCP> freeman@cleo.UUCP (Jay R. Freeman) writes:

>I didn't know LightShip Software (I think that is what they are called
>now) had released a student edition...

It is a part of a package from scientific press. First one is a book:

%A Michael Eisenberg
%A William Clinger
%A Anne Hartheimer
%T Programming In MacScheme
%E Harold Abelson
%I The Scientific Press
%C Redwood City, CA
%D 1990

The second is a MacScheme (student edition) Manual and Software by
scientific press ISBN 0-89426-141-X, (the diskette is inside the back
cover of the book) the price is (If I remember correctly) less than $45.

>Is "Scheme Express" the same as "MacScheme Student Edition"?

As of now, it may be. I do not know for sure. [anybody??]

oz
---
Sometimes when you fill a vacuum, it still sucks. | oz@nexus.yorku.ca
				  Dennis Ritchie  | or (416) 736 5257

winston@fjcnet.GOV (Winston M. Llamas) (07/12/90)

How portable is the Scheme representation (i.e. how difficult will it be
to port this Macintosh Scheme interpreter to other 68k based machines)?

Winston

mayer@hplabsz.HPL.HP.COM (Niels Mayer) (07/14/90)

So, how does this version of scheme compare to xscheme and elk??

Is it byte compiled??

Does it require any assembly language coding??

Can it support incremental GC??

	    Niels Mayer -- hplabs!mayer -- mayer@hplabs.hp.com
		  Human-Computer Interaction Department
		       Hewlett-Packard Laboratories