[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Programming Editor

dj02+@andrew.cmu.edu (Dale Allen James) (04/07/90)

Jan Erik,

There is an editor called "PReditor", which I have seen advertized in
MacTutor Magazine....don't have one handy, but will get it for you if you
want....

Also, Please reply to:  jjbst10@unix.cis.pitt.edu

Thanks

Jeff

pete@titan.rice.edu (Pete Keleher) (07/10/90)

Version 1.01 of ALPHA, a shareware programming editor, is now available on
rascal.ics.ut.edu. It is also in the queues of info-mac and c.m.b, but that
might be six more weeks. A partial list of features:
        - mapping of any function to any key
        - unlimited undo/redo
        - keyboard and named macros
        - unlimited named markers and buffers
        - window tiling
        - online help
        - and Many, Many, More...

Note that didn't accompany the submission: If your machine is a macII,
rename 'AlphaBits.macII' to 'AlphaBits'.
--

Pete Keleher						pete@titan.rice.edu

pete@titan.rice.edu (Pete Keleher) (07/10/90)

The anonymous ftp site that has the current version of ALPHA is
'rascal.ics.utexas.edu' (128.83.144.1), 'not rascal.ics.ut.edu'.

--

Pete Keleher						pete@titan.rice.edu

KOFOID@cc.utah.edu (07/12/90)

	I would like to state my unqualified enthusiasm over the Alpha text
editor recently posted by Pete Keleher. It is fast, stable and very
complete. I program in Pascal and Lisp, and find little difficulty in
modifying the editor for these functions. I strongly recommend that you
throw away your copies of McSink, send Pete his $22, and start using Alpha.

	If only the people at Symantec would install hooks to external text
editors from THINK Pascal. I hate their editor and its barely flexible
formatting! I have talked to them several times about this, and each
time, they act as though they'd never heard the complaint before. This
is strange, as every THINK Pascal programmer I know personally has
expressed the same irritation.

	Cheers,

	Eric.

	|                          (801) 581-3592                          |
	|  Snail: Eric Kofoid; Dept. Biology, U. of Utah; SLC, UT 84112    |
	|   Fast: bi.kofoid%science@utahcca (BitNet)                       |
	| Faster: bi.kofoid@science.utah.edu (InterNet)                    |
	|Fastest: kofoid@bioscience.utah.edu (InterNet -> QuickMail)       |
	| -- The University of Utah is blameless for anything I've said -- |
	|__________________________________________________________________|

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (07/13/90)

In article <77021@cc.utah.edu> KOFOID@cc.utah.edu writes:

[stuff deleted about alpha]

I missed that post. Where can I get Alpha?

>	If only the people at Symantec would install hooks to external text
>editors from THINK Pascal. I hate their editor and its barely flexible
>formatting! I have talked to them several times about this, and each
>time, they act as though they'd never heard the complaint before. This
>is strange, as every THINK Pascal programmer I know personally has
>expressed the same irritation.

There's one in every croud ...         :-)

I happen to like THINK Pascal's  editor.

>	Eric.

just my $0.02

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) (07/15/90)

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) writes:
>>time, they act as though they'd never heard the complaint before. This
>>is strange, as every THINK Pascal programmer I know personally has
>>expressed the same irritation.

>There's one in every croud ...         :-)

>I happen to like THINK Pascal's  editor.

And I happen to dislike it (a lot).  I've discussed the editor with both
David Neal and John McEnerney (the authors) and they have explained the
interaction between the editor and compiler.  It would/will be a major
task to disengage them.  They acknowledge that the editor is either loved
or hated, depending on some indefinable set of personality characteristics.
As it is now, I can tolerate it although I grumble a lot while doing so and
even now, only use it during debugging/tweaking sessions.  Initial creation
takes place elsewhere (usually MPW).  Some of my friends love it.  The
compiler and the debugger are good enough to make its use tolerable and
the Symantec folk do respond -- some things just take longer than others or
have a lower priority.  As much as I dislike the editor, I appreciate the
importance that was placed on the 3.0 feature list (TCL, MacApp, multiple
segments in the same compilation unit, and the browser) -- I'll wait a while
longer for the editor changes and I'm sure that I'll love them when they
arrive.

--
Dennis Cohen
Claris Corp.

dankg@lightning.Berkeley.EDU (Dan KoGai) (07/15/90)

In article <11123@claris.com>,
drc@claris.com (Dennis Cohen) said:

>And I happen to dislike it (a lot).  I've discussed the editor with both
>David Neal and John McEnerney (the authors) and they have explained the
>interaction between the editor and compiler.  It would/will be a major
>task to disengage them.  They acknowledge that the editor is either loved
>or hated, depending on some indefinable set of personality characteristics.
>As it is now, I can tolerate it although I grumble a lot while doing so and
>even now, only use it during debugging/tweaking sessions.  Initial creation
>takes place elsewhere (usually MPW).  Some of my friends love it.  The
>compiler and the debugger are good enough to make its use tolerable and
>the Symantec folk do respond -- some things just take longer than others or
>have a lower priority.  As much as I dislike the editor, I appreciate the
>importance that was placed on the 3.0 feature list (TCL, MacApp, multiple
>segments in the same compilation unit, and the browser) -- I'll wait a while
>longer for the editor changes and I'm sure that I'll love them when they
>arrive.

	I hate both Think C editor.  I love Think C very much and that makes
me hate its editor even more:  It's nothing more than TeachText:  It doesn't
do autoindent smartly and never does autounindent.  A lot of features I'm
so used on emacs are missing.  That's such a drag because anything else
is great:  Its debbuger kicks hell out of any other debuggers I know.
	Is there any plan in Symantec to separate its editor from toplevel
environment like done to its debugger?  I'd appreciate if they do so.  I'd
even appreciate if one can write an add-on editor.  If so will they release
the specs (i.e. data structure of buffer, tags, how to pass text to compiler
module, etc)?

----------------
____  __  __    + Dan The "Emacs for Think C!" Man
____| ______    + Voice:        +1 415-549-6111
|     |__|__|   + USnail:       1730 Laloma Berkeley, CA 94709 U.S.A
|___  |__|__|   + Oxymora:    Usable MS-DOS, Multitasking Mac, Secure Unix,
    |____|____  + 		rec.humor posters without sense of humor,
  \_|    |      +		Christian Science, and English grammer

tarr-michael@CS.YALE.EDU (michael tarr) (07/16/90)

Think C and Pascal should let you install the editor of choice from them
or other developers -- e.g. I would like to use microEmacs with its
feature laden cursor control and very intelligent C mode. Any chance
Think?

Mike Tarr
tarr@cs.yale.edu

pete@titan.rice.edu (Pete Keleher) (07/16/90)

> 	I hate both Think C editor.  I love Think C very much and that makes
> me hate its editor even more:  It's nothing more than TeachText:  It doesn't
> do autoindent smartly and never does autounindent.  A lot of features I'm
> so used on emacs are missing.  That's such a drag because anything else
> is great:  Its debbuger kicks hell out of any other debuggers I know.
> 	Is there any plan in Symantec to separate its editor from toplevel
> environment like done to its debugger?  I'd appreciate if they do so.  I'd
> even appreciate if one can write an add-on editor.  If so will they release
> the specs (i.e. data structure of buffer, tags, how to pass text to compiler
> module, etc)?

These are exactly the sentiments that caused Alpha, the programming editor
that started this chain, to be written. I was disgusted with their
brain-dead editor, and longed for emacs functionality (I mean whoever heard
of an editor that can't search backwards!). At the same time, I recognise
that the few things that their editor does, it does very well.  Therefore I
patterned the interface of Alpha after Think's.

Pete Keleher						pete@titan.rice.edu
The Alpha Editor is available from 'rascal.ics.utexas.edu' (128.83.144.1).