[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Should outlines be used on dimmed buttons?

maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels) (07/11/90)

In writing a deskaccessory I came upon a question about Macintosh user
interface that the bible (IM) and the user interface book didn't answer.

The DA is supposed to lock up the mac until the correct password has been
typed. It displays a large modal dialog, stating that this mac can't be used
until the correct password has been typed. A TextEdit field is used to enter
the password (with bullets replacing the characters, so no-one can read the
password).
When no characters have been entered, the OK button is dimmed (greyed out).
What I don't know is whether the outline of the OK button should
- remain as normal (a black line around the button)
- be greyed out as well (so, a gray line around the button)
- should be removed from the dialog (so, no line around the button)

Perhaps one of the netguru's could enlighten me on this?

Please reply by mail, I'll summarize to the net.

--maarten
--
In real life:	Maarten Carels
		Computer Science Department

han@apple.COM (Byron Han, Project Scapegoat) (07/17/90)

In article <1136@carol.fwi.uva.nl> maarten@fwi.uva.nl (Maarten Carels)
writes:
> When no characters have been entered, the OK button is dimmed (greyed
out).
> What I don't know is whether the outline of the OK button should
> - remain as normal (a black line around the button)
> - be greyed out as well (so, a gray line around the button)
> - should be removed from the dialog (so, no line around the button)

I don't believe that the user interface thought police have come up with
an official policy statement.  This is simply my own humble opinion
(TISMOHO)

Removing the outline is very visually distracting and distressing.  Having
user interface items appear and disappear should be done rarely and only
in special situations (like dyanamic dialogs where entire sets of items
are appended and removed from a dialog - see CommToolbox tool
selection/configuration dialogs for an example)

Greying out the outline may seem to be the de jure correct thing to do.
Most users, however, are used to the useritem not greying out and
therefore this may indeed be the de facto correct thing to do.

Another option, which the Advanced Software Concepts' TCPack Connection Tool
uses, is to move the outline to reflect the current default button.
For example, if there is an OK and Cancel button, and an associated editText
item, the Cancel button is outlined if there is no text entered, the OK button
is hilighted if there is text entered.  I don't know if this made it into the
production software but I personally found it rather distracting.

Sorry I don't have a definitive answer.  The subleties of human interface
design often lacks definitive answers.

This is not an official Apple policy statement.
I have no connection with ASC except as a beta tester of TCPack.

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                   |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Architect  "Not Working 100 hrs/wk and loving it!"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS 69L         Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014               UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
--------------------------------  GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450              Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM