[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Basic OOP Books

johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu (07/18/90)

Several months ago I (johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu) wrote:

 > I just bought THINK C and so far am quite happy with it.  But I am a bit
 > overwhelmed by the Object Oriented material.  Even the demo codes that
 > came with the compiler seemed quite a bit beyond basic OOP.  Can anyone
 > make any suggestions about a book or other source for a basic introduction
 > to object-oriented programming?  Something sort of like a tutorial (perhaps
 > steping you through OOP) that someone with no OOP experience (but perhaps
 > significant "normal" non-OOP experience) could understand?

I promised a summary of the responses, so here we go!

Thanks to those who responded:
     Jason W. Anthony  (anthonjw@clutx.clarkson.edu)
     Jeff Francis      (jfrancis@umaxc.weeg.uiowa.edu)
     Larry Rosenstein  (lsr@apple.com)

_Object Oriented Programming: An Evolutionary Approach_, by Brad Cox

_Object-oriented Software Construction_, by Meyer

_Object-Oriented Programming for the Macintosh_, by Kurt J. Schmucker,
     Hayden Book Company, copyright 1986.  "It isn't too bad.  However,
     it uses Object Pascal as the language of explanation and talks
     a lot about MacApp.  It's somewhat old, too.  But it does a pretty
     nice job explaining some of the OOP concepts."

_Programming with MacApp_, by Wilson, Rosenstein, and Shafer;
     Addison Wesley, 1990.  One of the authors said, "[it] includes 2
     chapters on OOP in general, but the rest of the book discusses MacApp
     in particular.  If you are willing to translate the examples and
     concepts to THINK C and THINK Class Library, then you might find it
     useful."

One person also suggested looking in the last year or so of MacWorld and
MacUser that have had articles related to OOP.

Personally, I have not yet checked out any of these sources yet (don't have
the time! :-), so I can't give a judgement.

Erik A. Johnson, Graduate Student        \ Internet:  johnsone@uxh.cso.uiuc.edu
Aeronautical & Astronautical Engineering  \
University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign \