[comp.sys.mac.programmer] HELP!!! What's eating my hard disk?

topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) (07/17/90)

I have a Mac/SE running 6.0.2.  I have 2.5 meg RAM and a CMS 30 meg
internal hard disk (SCSI).  I had multifinder activated and was in THINK C when
an improper call to BlockMove crashed my system.  After hitting the
programmer's reset button, everything booted up fine except that I am
now missing almost 3 meg off my hard disk.  If this was unix I'd be
looking for a core dump - since the missing disk space is more or less
equal to my RAM.  I took inventory of all my top level folders and,
sure enough, they all add up to 3 meg less than what my system tells
me is currently being used.  Any ideas?

Any and all help would be most appreciated.

Thanks

Bob Munroe
topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

mm5l+@andrew.cmu.edu (Matthew Mashyna) (07/17/90)

>  I took inventory of all my top level folders and,
> sure enough, they all add up to 3 meg less than what my system tells
> me is currently being used.  Any ideas?

I don't know what did it but a few months ago somebody was fiddling with
SilverLining on my Mac and suddenly I noticed that 10 MB was gone!

I ran disk express on it and just about fell out of my seat when the
grim reaper icons showed up after dianosis. I was a bit perturbed at
this person with the SilverLining. I let Disk Express do it's thing and
it got it all back (Hooray, I can let my SilverLining pal live)
Right, what was the question ? Oh, yeah. I don't know but I recomend
Disk Express to get it back.

|Matt Mashyna        | As you see, science once again robs us of   |
|mm5l@andrew.cmu.edu | our jobs. They put a micro-chip in my place.|
|Carnegie Mellon     |                                             |

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (07/17/90)

In article <1990Jul17.075148.422@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca> topix@gpu.utcs.utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) writes:

[stuff deleted about story of a crash using blockmove]

Your volume map or disk directory is probably bad. This happens often after a
crash and your restart from macsbug. I guess some volume info doesn't get
updated. Next time try the rb (reboot) command. (if you used the rb command
then ignore the last sentance)  Use Disk first aid to repair your hard disk
and magically your three megs should  return.

>Any and all help would be most appreciated.

>Thanks

If the above works then your welcome.

>Bob Munroe
>topix@utcs.utoronto.ca

P.S. I'm not sure I used the proper names for the hard disk infomation
but you get the idea :-)

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

mnykanen@cc.helsinki.fi (07/18/90)

utoronto.ca (R. Munroe) writes:
> I have a Mac/SE running 6.0.2.  I have 2.5 meg RAM and a CMS 30 meg
> internal hard disk (SCSI).  I had multifinder activated and was in THINK C
> when
> an improper call to BlockMove crashed my system.  After hitting the
> programmer's reset button, everything booted up fine except that I am
> now missing almost 3 meg off my hard disk.  If this was unix I'd be
> looking for a core dump - since the missing disk space is more or less
> equal to my RAM.  I took inventory of all my top level folders and,
> sure enough, they all add up to 3 meg less than what my system tells
> me is currently being used.  Any ideas?
>
> Any and all help would be most appreciated.
>

> Thanks
>
> Bob Munroe
> topix@utcs.utoronto.ca
Could these be related? Similar situation except 2Mb RAM and 40Mb
internal Apple HD, THINK (then LightSpeed) C 3.0; a spectacular system
crash in a program using BlockMove (whether actually in it I cannot say)
resulted in C leaving behind a 10Mb project file for 200-line program!
The error wasn't reproducible. Could it be that neither the old nor the
new C is NOT cleaning up properly? In my case, though, I just dragged
the 10Mb beast to trash..
--
Matti Nyk{nen
CS Student at Helsinki U, Finland

The best opinions available; get them while they're hot!