[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MF Sublaunch problem

ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu (07/13/90)

I have an application which is supposed to launch another, under
Multifinder, and return.  I have had it working OK at one time,
now it does not, that may be another story.  I am experiencing
the same 9 click events problem that we recently discussed here
briefly.

Also, lately, upon launch, the 9 beeps occur, and then the application
just hangs.  The mouse is active, it just does not begin running
correctly.  If I drop into MacsBug and ExitToApp, then it
quits and all is OK.

I don't know a lot about MF, but I suspect my problem is related
to it.  Any advice ?

Eric

deweeset@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Thomas DeWeese) (07/17/90)

In article <1234600046@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu> ews00461@uxa.cso.uiuc.edu writes:

>I have an application which is supposed to launch another, under
>Multifinder, and return.
>
>I don't know a lot about MF, but I suspect my problem is related
>to it.  Any advice ?
>
>Eric

I am also trying to write a program to launch other programs in MF.  I had
a version working with _Launch Trap but unfortunatly this also destroys the
app the does the _Launch.  So I noticed a little Trap _Chain I try this
and it no longer Destroys the current app it simply trashes the system.  Thus
I noticed Heap Zones, but there seems to be no way to safely create a new
heap Zone for the new app in MF.  I am fresh out of ideas and would appreciate
a person with knowlage on this subject giving me some help.

I would appreciate mail as I am not always able to keep up with this news group.

				Thank you very much,
				Thomas DeWeese
DeWeeseT@rdrc.rpi.edu  #1
deweeset@turing.cs.rpi.edu #2

jeremyr@cs.qmw.ac.uk (Jeremy Roussak) (07/19/90)

In article <C#X$#6=@rpi.edu> deweeset@turing.cs.rpi.edu (Thomas DeWeese) writes:
>I am also trying to write a program to launch other programs in MF.  I had
>a version working with _Launch Trap but unfortunatly this also destroys the
>app the does the _Launch.  So I noticed a little Trap _Chain I try this
>and it no longer Destroys the current app it simply trashes the system.  Thus
>I noticed Heap Zones, but there seems to be no way to safely create a new
>heap Zone for the new app in MF.  I am fresh out of ideas and would appreciate
>a person with knowlage on this subject giving me some help.

_Launch does not destroy the app that does the launch under MF.  Control
returns immediately to that app once the launch request is registered.

TechNote 126 has all the details.

_Chain is, I understand, obsolete and should not be used (the fact that
it crashes the system has presumably given you some hint of this :-)).

Jeremy Roussak