[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Color icons

gandreas@umn-d-ub.D.UMN.EDU (Glenn Andreas) (11/29/88)

Is it possible to easily add color icons (cicn) to a menu?  If you have
a regular icon for a menu item and add it's color counterpart with
the same id, nothing seems to happen.  I've been reading IM V several
times looking for how to do this, but can't find anything.  Also, is
there an easier way to add cicn to dialogs other than as a user item?
I wish I just had to add the cicn counterpart to the plain icon and
everything would work, but it doesn't seem so.  Suggestions?

= "Whether you like it, or don't like it, sit   | - gandreas@ub.d.umn.edu - =
=  back and take a look at it, because it's the |   Glenn Andreas           =
=  best going today!  WOOOOoooo!" - Ric Flair   |                           =

jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) (07/24/90)

I just created a color icon 'cicn'.  It has the same number as my icon
in the ICN#.  The only problem is that it only displays in B&W.  I
have rebuilt the desktop.  What's the magic command to make it work.

JOn.

--
                        /\                    ?               ________________
jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu \  ____   __       fgu             |.signature under|

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (07/24/90)

In article <Jul.23.15.28.55.1990.29025@topaz.rutgers.edu> Jon Joshua writes:
>I just created a color icon 'cicn'.  It has the same number as my icon
>in the ICN#.  The only problem is that it only displays in B&W.  I
>have rebuilt the desktop.  What's the magic command to make it work.

The Finder doesn't display file icons in color even if you include a color
icon in the file.  There are a couple of INITs (although I can't remember
their names) that display color icons.

steve

  Steve Christensen             Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
  Apple Computer, Inc.          AppleLink:  CHRISTENSE1
  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 81-CS   CompuServe: 76174,1712
  Cupertino, CA  95014

  "You just contradicted me."  "No I didn't."

oster@well.sf.ca.us (David Phillip Oster) (07/25/90)

In article <Jul.23.15.28.55.1990.29025@topaz.rutgers.edu> jjoshua@topaz.rutgers.edu (Jon Joshua) writes:

>I just created a color icon 'cicn'.  It has the same number as my icon
>in the ICN#.  The only problem is that it only displays in B&W.  I
>have rebuilt the desktop.  What's the magic command to make it work.

The trick of giving a cicn the same number as an ICON works only if
YOUR program plots the icon with a system routine, such as an iconItem
in a dialog. If you want a color icon for your program in the Finder,
you'll either need to use somebody's nonstandard INIT, or your'll need to
wait for System 7, and use not a cicn, but a different data structure,
with a different resoure type, that is teh data part of a color icon,
and assumes Apple's standard 16-color color table, in that order.
--
-- David Phillip Oster - Note new signature. Old one has gone Bye Bye.
-- oster@well.sf.ca.us = {backbone}!well!oster

wiechman@athos.rutgers.edu (NightMeower) (07/26/90)

ColorFinder displays color icons.  I believe it was written by someone
at Apple.

Kevin
Kevin S. Wiechmann			arpa:  wiechman@rutgers.rutgers.edu

	 This is only a test... for the next sixty seconds...