[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Apple Developer status

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (07/25/90)

I've been away from comp.sys.mac.programmer for a month. Before I left,
the hot topic here was that Apple had stopped accepting applications for
Partners, etc. My understanding was that Apple was restructuring the
program and would not accept new applications until they had finished that
restructuring. At the time, Apple could not say when they thought they
would start accepting new applications.

I have reviewed available news items, and I don't recall seeing any
discussion on this topic. Is it known when Apple will start accepting
applications? Has Apple announced any details of the new program?

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

cory@three.MV.COM (Cory Kempf) (07/30/90)

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) writes:

>I've been away from comp.sys.mac.programmer for a month. Before I left,
>the hot topic here was that Apple had stopped accepting applications for
>Partners, etc.

>I have reviewed available news items, and I don't recall seeing any
>discussion on this topic. Is it known when Apple will start accepting
>applications? Has Apple announced any details of the new program?

Since I was probably the person whose post you saw first, I better answer.

Yes, Apple has started accepting applications again.  They have restructured
the program.  (I did get my application after a few weeks of waiting).

Here is the new deal as explained to me by the good folks at DEVHOTLINE:

The Partner program is essentially unchanged.  The change is in the Associate
program.  Associates are now supposed to be identical to partners with the
following exceptions:

	Associates are only allowed to purchase 5 systems per year at
	developer price (~40 % off of list)

	Associates do not get direct e-mail access to MacDTS

	Associates only pay $350 per year (as opposed to $600 for partners)

	Specifically Associates are supposed to get access to the prerelease
	System 7.

Some other things that I have noted (but not confirmed):

	Associates do not seem to have access to Evangelists (At least according
	to the wording of the developer mailing "The Evangelist is in")

	From the wording on the Application, becomming a Partner will be
	more difficult (just my impression.  There may be nothing behind it)

They have also added a new class of developer, the APDA member.  It seems that
this is designed to pick up some of the bottom end that the Associates program
has dropped.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The Enigami Co.							603 883 2474