[comp.sys.mac.programmer] ResEdit nostalgia

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (07/30/90)

After three weeks of keeping them both on my hard disk, I still
finding myself reaching for ResEdit 1.2 rather than 2.0b2. Particularly
if you just want to look at or change file type/creator information,
1.2's file/folder picker windows are *much* more convenient than
Standard File, which is what 2.0 uses. Modelessness wins out over
modality again, I guess...

Also, I question the usefulness of those cute icons you now get to
show each resource type. I just find that they reduce the number of types
that can be displayed in the window, without telling me anything I
don't already know. It might be useful if they told you whether
ResEdit actually had an editor for each type, but they don't even do
that.

The point I'm trying to make is that people who use ResEdit aren't
novice users: any ease-of-use enhancements should be aimed at people
with a certain level of sophistication, and I just think that the icon
display--in its present form--misses the mark.

Don't get me wrong: I *like* the new editors and pickers (question:
does the "snd " picker emulate HyperCard's bugs as well...?). Has
anybody tried to see if the new editors/pickers work with the old ResEdit?
I guess I could be the first...

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
To someone with a hammer and a screwdriver, every problem looks
like a nail with threads.

kazim@Apple.COM (Alex Kazim) (08/01/90)

In article <1115.26b46ea3@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:

>Also, I question the usefulness of those cute icons you now get to
>show each resource type. I just find that they reduce the number of types
>that can be displayed in the window, without telling me anything I
>don't already know. It might be useful if they told you whether
>ResEdit actually had an editor for each type, but they don't even do
>that.

You could use the "View" menu to display the types (and sizes) without
the icons.  I think the original plan was that the icon should only be
present if a template existed, but since ResEdit itself is tailorable,
this may not always hold true.

As for utility, I think they are helpful in giving the user a quick visual
clue as to the contents.  All too often people try to cram too much meaning
into an icon, and I think some of these icons suffer from that particular
disease.  However, an ugly icon doesn't mean all icons are bad.

>The point I'm trying to make is that people who use ResEdit aren't
>novice users: any ease-of-use enhancements should be aimed at people
>with a certain level of sophistication, and I just think that the icon
>display--in its present form--misses the mark.

It's true that ResEdit users were pretty much power users, but the question
is whether that should continue to be the case.  I think the new version of
ResEdit goes a long way into allowing easy access to a larger number of
users.

Alex Kazim, Apple Computer
We have one heavily armed recreational vehicle here