[comp.sys.mac.programmer] \r, \n conversion in general

nick@lfcs.cs.edinburgh.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/01/90)

In article <1806@mountn.dec.com>, minow@mountn.dec.com (Martin Minow) writes:
> If you open the file as fopen("file", "rb" [or "wb"]), THINK C supresses
> conversion.  The 'b' (binary) mode is part of the ANSI C standard.  It
> should be mentioned in the THINK C library documentation.

Makes sense. In fact, I was thinking of the more general problems when
passing files to/from other machines. The \n - \r conversion in our
Unix gateway is done automagically (according to whether the file type
is TEXT and/or the owner is "unix" and/or the file exists and/or the
file has some special finder info and/or ...) so moving binary files
around requires some care.

Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ Hey, son, get that DeLorean off the track! And ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~
            what have you done with all my lovely harpsichords?