[comp.sys.mac.programmer] PD C Code for Parsing Regular Expressions

eberard@bse.com (Edward V. Berard) (07/31/90)

Folks,

I am looking for public domain C code which parses regular expressions
(e.g., as in ed, ex, vi, sed, awk, and grep). It would be best if this
code was compatible with MPW C, but I'll take anything.

				-- Ed

Edward V. Berard                                | Phone: (301) 353-9652
Berard Software Engineering, Inc.               | FAX:   (301) 353-9272
18620 Mateney Road                              | E-Mail: eberard@bse.com
Germantown, Maryland 20874                      |

samalone@athena.mit.edu (Stuart A. Malone) (08/02/90)

In article <b.2FDENH@bse.com> eberard@bse.com writes:
>I am looking for public domain C code which parses regular expressions
>(e.g., as in ed, ex, vi, sed, awk, and grep). It would be best if this
>code was compatible with MPW C, but I'll take anything.

The Free Software Foundation distributes free (but NOT public domain) regular
expression code that they use in their programs.  On the Internet, you can FTP
to prep.ai.mit.edu and look in the directory /u2/emacs for the latest version
of grep-*.tar.Z.  Read the file COPYING first, because the FSF requires that
programmers who incorporate FSF code into their own projects must give away
their own source code for free, as well.  If you can't live with this
restriction, then you'll have to look elsewhere.

				--Stuart A. Malone
				samalone@athena.mit.edu