From: dbw@cup.portal.com (Dale B Walker)
Subject: Think C Classes
>I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with the Think C Class Library.
>I'm starting to write an Application...

I like the TCL quite a bit. I didn't have any trouble getting started,
but I'd spent a few weeks with MacApp, so I was familiar with
object-oriented structuring.

My only criticism to Think would be that the tutorial isn't quite as
in-depth as it ought to be. If they modeled it on the MacApp tutorial,
it'd be close to perfect. Also, a couple more sample applications/
examples wouldn't hurt.

                                              --clark

Clark Anderson                InterNet:  anderson@apple.com
PCB Software Tools            AppleLink: C.ANDERSON
Apple Computer, Inc           BellNet:   408-974-4593

"I speak only for myself, much to my employer's relief..."

paul@surf.sics.bu.oz (Paul Davis) (08/06/90)

In article <32414@cup.portal.com> dbw@cup.portal.com (Dale B Walker) writes:

|I'm interested in hearing people's experiences with the Think C Class Library.
|I'm starting to write an Application, and it looks like it could save
|me alot of time.  I'd like to hear from people who are using the
|libraries - are there any problems, how hard it is to get started,
|etc...

I started using the TCL in January and I love it.  It takes a while to
get the hang of the command chain, display coordinates and other strange
new ideas.  What I've found is that whenever my initial reaction has been
_This is a stupid way to do this_ my later conclusion has been _This is
smarter than I thought_, so give it time.

A couple hints...  Use the command facility to pass all actions, even
those not generated by menus.  Let your application class route non-
display commands to objects which aren't in the chain.  There are more
coordinate systems than you'll know what to do with.  In addition to
global and port coordinates, there are pane coordinates (for the frame)
and panorama coordinates (for objects in scrollbars).  CPanorama bounds
are in panorama coordinates which are scaled by your scrolling units.

Confused?

Have fun.

paul
Paul Davis                        Paul_Davis@beach.bu.oz.au
P.O. Box 65                       paul@surf.sics.bu.oz.au
School of Business                (075) 952-291  fax: 953-320
Bond University
QLD 4229 Australia