[comp.sys.mac.programmer] official answer Re: Should outlines be used on dimmed buttons?

jgro@biosys.apldbio.com (Jeremy Grodberg) (08/04/90)

I asked the Apple Human interface group about the question posed here a
short while back: "Should the outline around the default button in a
dialog be dimmed when the button is dimmed?"

The official answer: Yes!  The outline should be dimmed when the button is
dimmed (such as before a user enters any characters in a particular entry
field).  The outline around the default button is considered part of the
button.

Also, the outline and button should be dimmed when another window
comes up in front of the dialog.  Note that even a modal dialog window
may find itself partially covered when an alert box comes up in front of it.
For exampe, do a Save As... and write over an existing file.  You get the
alert "Replace file with same name?" (or whatever) in front of the
Save As... dialog.  In applications which draw a border around the Save button,
this leads to 2 default buttons being displayed at the same time, one in
each window.  Dimming the button and outline is meant to prevent this confusing
situation.

In system 7, the default modal dialog proc will work as described above.  Also,
the inner border around the modal dialog window will dim when the window
is not front-most, to help keep clear which dialog is active.

--

Jeremy Grodberg
jgro@apldbio.com    "Beware: free advice is often overpriced!"

mnykanen@cc.helsinki.fi (08/06/90)

In article <26401@usc.edu>, jgro@biosys.apldbio.com (Jeremy Grodberg) writes:
> I asked the Apple Human interface group about the question posed here a
> short while back: "Should the outline around the default button in a
> dialog be dimmed when the button is dimmed?"
>
> The official answer: Yes!  The outline should be dimmed when the button is
> dimmed (such as before a user enters any characters in a particular entry
> field).  The outline around the default button is considered part of the
> button.

An aside: what exactly are the semantics of a default that is not
applicable by default? :-)
--
Matti Nyk{nen
CS Student at Helsinki U, Finland

The best opinions available; get them while they're hot!