[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How to get background app to start at boot?

gauthier@ntmtv.UUCP (Jay Gauthier) (08/07/90)

Fairly simple question with hopefully a simple answer.

I'd like to have an application that runs ONLY in the background in MF
start up automatically at boot time.

It is an application, and can't be written as a driver.
The only ways I could think of are to use Set Startup or to put an
INIT in the System Folder that would launch the applicaiton.
Both of these are awkward and what I'm looking for is something we can
tweak in the application's resources, such that when it is put into the
system folder, it is started up at init time.

Can this be done?  If not, how about in System 7?

aTdHvAaNnKcSe

--

Jay Gauthier
BNR,   Mountain View  CA    (415) 940-2101

bose@milton.u.washington.edu (Rob Olsen) (08/08/90)

I think that Darkness is one of those type of Application which run only on the background like INIT.  It is posted on comp.mac.biniary and the sourc code are
included.  What I do is just set Darkness as my start-up application with multi-finder.

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/09/90)

In article <6029@milton.u.washington.edu>, bose@milton.u.washington.edu
(Rob Olsen) writes:
> I think that Darkness is one of those type of Application which run
only on the background like INIT.  It is posted on comp.mac.biniary and
the sourc code are
> included.  What I do is just set Darkness as my start-up application
with multi-finder.

There's a problem with this. You can't run Darkness *and* a DA at
startup. The MultiFinder options are:

	Start up with selected items;
	Start up with currently open apps and DA's.

Option (i) doesn't open the DA. Option (ii) doesn't open Darkness.

Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ Hey, son, get that DeLorean off the track! And ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~
            what have you done with all my lovely harpsichords?

ml10+@andrew.cmu.edu (Michael A. Libes) (08/10/90)

>In article <6029@milton.u.washington.edu>, bose@milton.u.washington.edu
>(Rob Olsen) writes:
>> I think that Darkness is one of those type of Application which run
>only on the background like INIT.  It is posted on comp.mac.biniary and
>the sourc code are
>> included.  What I do is just set Darkness as my start-up application
>with multi-finder.
>
>There's a problem with this. You can't run Darkness *and* a DA at
>startup. The MultiFinder options are:
>
>	Start up with selected items;
>	Start up with currently open apps and DA's.
>
>Option (i) doesn't open the DA. Option (ii) doesn't open Darkness.

This is a bug in System 6.0.x.  In System 7, Darkness actually shows up
in the "About Finder" memory usage dialog.

    - Lunarmobiscuit

davis@bdmrrr.bdm.com (Arthur Davis x4675) (08/10/90)

If you are using the beta Multifinder 6.1b9, there is a feature
that will do what you want.

Create a folder in the system folder called "Background Folder" and
put the application you want to start up at boot time in this
folder.  It will start up the next time you boot into MF.