[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MIDI Driver Wanted

athame@athena.mit.edu (Dirk Karis) (08/08/90)

A friend of mine recently purchased a MIDI synthesizer and a Mac/MIDI
intereface; since then he and I have been trying to write code in
THINK C to control the beast.  We seem to have initialized the serial
driver properly, but the bytes that FSRead returns are not
recognizable opcodes (we are trying to monitor the serial port while
playing the keyboard).  If anyone has writen source code for this
purpose that they would be willing to share, or has hints on working
with MIDI and the Mac serial driver, I'd appreciate mail.  Thanks,

	Dirk
	athame@athena.mit.edu

nick@cs.ed.ac.uk (Nick Rothwell) (08/08/90)

In article <1990Aug8.004450.15749@athena.mit.edu>, athame@athena.mit.edu
(Dirk Karis) writes:
> A friend of mine recently purchased a MIDI synthesizer and a Mac/MIDI
> intereface; since then he and I have been trying to write code in
> THINK C to control the beast.

You should use Apple's MIDI Manager rather than mess around with the
hardware directly.

Then again, Apple should be more forthcoming about publicising it and
making it available (you need to get it from APDA, I think).

Give me a shout if you want some example code.

> 	Dirk

Nick Rothwell,	Laboratory for Foundations of Computer Science, Edinburgh.
		nick@lfcs.ed.ac.uk    <Atlantic Ocean>!mcsun!ukc!lfcs!nick
~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ Hey, son, get that DeLorean off the track! And ~~ ~~ ~~ ~~ ~
            what have you done with all my lovely harpsichords?

athame@athena.mit.edu (Dirk Karis) (08/11/90)

So far I've gotten three different responses to my request for a MIDI
driver.
	* Craig Ruff cruff@ncar.ucar.edu mailed me some C/Assembly code
		that I have not yet ported to Think (from Aztec)
	* Several people recommended that I use APDA's MIDI Manager
	* I found a Hypercard stack / set of XCMD's called HyperMIDI
		available by anonymous ftp from ucsd.uscd.edu

	I can mail copies of the first to anyone who wants it (and of
the third if you can't get the ftp to work).

Dirk Karis
athame@athena.mit.edu