[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Desktop Manager problem

bnewton@npiatl.uucp (B) (08/11/90)

Has anyone noticed that the Desktop Manager isn't totally transparent?  I have
been trying to write a program that copies files from one drive to another in
a certain order (to duplicate the file IDs), and several of the file manager
calls don't work properly with the Desktop Manager activated.

I have to use the Manager since I am working with some 10000 files and a
normal Desktop resource file can only hold about 2700.  I have noticed that
the PBCatMove call fails entirely, and most of the other PB--Cat-- calls
have some problems.

Am I missing something?  If so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

Barry E Newton  --  npiatl.UUCP!bnewton@gatech.EDU

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (08/13/90)

In article <1990Aug10.181605.1170@npiatl.uucp> bnewton@npiatl.uucp (B) writes:
>Has anyone noticed that the Desktop Manager isn't totally transparent?  I have
>been trying to write a program that copies files from one drive to another in
>a certain order (to duplicate the file IDs), and several of the file manager
>calls don't work properly with the Desktop Manager activated.
>
>I have to use the Manager since I am working with some 10000 files and a
>normal Desktop resource file can only hold about 2700.  I have noticed that
>the PBCatMove call fails entirely, and most of the other PB--Cat-- calls
>have some problems.
>
>Am I missing something?  If so, any help would be greatly appreciated.

I think that there might be a little misconception here. The current
Desktop file doesn't limit you to 2700 files. It's perfectly OK to have
over 10,000 files on a volume.

Rather, the problem is that you can't have more than 2,727 resources in
the resource fork. Any application that supports custom icons for
itself and its documents will require a number of entries in the
resource fork of the desktop file. The number of entries can range from
zero (for an application with no custom icons), to 2 or 3 (for an
application with a custom application icon), up to 10 or 15 or so (for
an application that supports many different document types, each with
its own icon). For more information, see Macintosh Technote #210.

As examples, my 160 meg drive (with all my applications) has 948
entries in the Desktop file, my 80 meg drive (with all the wonderful
hacks, INITs, DA's, etc., I've collected over the years), has 428
entries, and my other 80 Meg drive with loads of source code on it has
less than 100 entries. I suspect that most of those entries --
especially on my third volume -- are obsolete (i.e., they correspond to
files that no longer exists on any of my volumes).

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions