[comp.sys.mac.programmer] MacApp and Communications Toolbox

tim@efi.com (Tim Maroney) (08/10/90)

The subject line says it all.  Anyone come up with any MacApp documents
that use Comm. Toolbox?  Can it be done without modifying MacApp or
copying hundreds of lines from the TApplication methods to make a
subclass of TApplication?  Will Comm. Toolbox support become standard
in future MacApp versions?

austing@Apple.COM (Glenn L. Austin) (08/14/90)

tim@efi.com (Tim Maroney) writes:

>The subject line says it all.  Anyone come up with any MacApp documents
>that use Comm. Toolbox?  Can it be done without modifying MacApp or
>copying hundreds of lines from the TApplication methods to make a
>subclass of TApplication?  Will Comm. Toolbox support become standard
>in future MacApp versions?

MacTerminal 3.0 was written using MacApp.  I don't know about the future
of MacApp/CTB cooperation, but I assume that CTB will be in some future
version of MacApp, since it will be a standard part of the System Software,
but I may also be dreaming this entire conversation...

| Glenn L. Austin               | "Turn too soon, run out of room,          |
| Auto Racing Enthusiast and    |   Turn too late, much better fate"        |
| Communications Toolbox Hacker |   - Jim Russell Racing School Instructors |
| Apple Computer, Inc.          | "Drive slower, race faster" - D. Waltrip  |
| Internet:   austing@apple.com |-------------------------------------------|
| AppleLink:  AUSTIN.GLENN      | All opinions stated above are mine --     |
| Bellnet:    (408) 974-0876    |                who else would want them?  |

mp@unido.UUCP (Michael Pickers) (08/14/90)

In article <1990Aug9.213215.1892@efi.com> tim@efi.com (Tim Maroney) writes:
>The subject line says it all.  Anyone come up with any MacApp documents
>that use Comm. Toolbox?

Yes, I'm working on one, and it's running, just not finished.

>Can it be done without modifying MacApp or
>copying hundreds of lines from the TApplication methods to make a
>subclass of TApplication?

You don't need to modify the MacApp Sources, but you have to override
a couple methods, but not too many. I don't know them out of my head.

The basic idea I'm using are cohanders. You should
look into the TEvtHandler implementation to learn more about it.
(a cohander is a subclass of TEvtHandler)

Another source to give you some ideas is to look into the very old
AppleTalk Demo Application that was shipped with MacApp 1.1. Don't
use any of the AppleTalk stuff in there, since it is completely
outdated, but the theory of operation is interesting.

But on the whole, I would love to have the CTB supported in some way
in MacApp since I'm not really sure about everything I've done.

          Michael Pickers
          Computer Science Department, University of Dortmund
          IRB - Informatik Rechner Betriebsgruppe
          4600 Dortmund 50, P.O. Box 500500, W.-Germany
          E-mail address UUCP: mp@unido.uucp (...uunet!mcsun!unido!mp)
          Internet: mp@unido.informatik.uni-dortmund.de
          BITNET: mp@unido.bitnet