[comp.sys.mac.programmer] C++ info request

snow@china.uu.net (John Snow) (08/11/90)

I will shortly be starting to learn C++ as part of my job and would
like to carry it over into my home computing.  I have heard a lot of
good things about Think C and know that there is a lot of example
source code floating around, but how close to C++ is it, really?
Could I transfer what I learn at home to work, and vise versa, or
should I go with something else?

::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::
:: John Snow  - MDC          | any opinions are purely accidental
:: Denver, Colorado          | and not the fault of the management
:: Try mailing to: [snow@salt.uu.net] or maybe [uunet!salt!snow]

cory@three.mv.com (Cory Kempf) (08/15/90)

snow@china.uu.net (John Snow) writes:

>I will shortly be starting to learn C++ as part of my job and would
>like to carry it over into my home computing.  I have heard a lot of
>good things about Think C and know that there is a lot of example
>source code floating around, but how close to C++ is it, really?
>Could I transfer what I learn at home to work, and vise versa, or
>should I go with something else?

Well, at the moment, the only other thing to go with is MPW (are you
indedpendantly wealthy?).  MPW C++ is a port of At&T's CFront, which
means that it is (was... C++ has been upgraded.  Anyone know when we
will see a version of 2.1?) "standard" C++.

Think C on the other hand, is a very nice implimentation of C, and has
a really nice debugger.  It has a few features of C++, but leaves out
most of the really nice ones.  You can play with objects, to a point.
It is not C++ though.  It looks as if someone added to C the extensions
to pascal that Object Pascal does.

+C

--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The EnigamI Co.							603 883 2474