[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Comm tool box

jerryg@Apple.COM (Jerry Godes) (08/03/89)

In article <8477@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>Another topic:  I found out that the Communication Toolkit was available from
                                      ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Just a minor comment.  Last time I checked, (which was just moments ago), the
official name is "Communications Toolbox"  (CommToolbox is an equivalent name,
too, as far as I'm concerned).  A little pet peeve of the development group -
since we have heard several alternative names.

Also, as I understand it, the $80 also includes the final software and
documentation whenever they appear.

Jerry Godes
Apple Computer, Inc.
Communications Product Development

alibaba@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (Alexander M. Rosenberg) (08/03/89)

In article <3309@internal.Apple.COM> jerryg@Apple.COM (Jerry Godes) writes:
>In article <8477@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
[stuff deleted...]
>Also, as I understand it, the $80 also includes the final software and
>documentation whenever they appear.
>
>Jerry Godes
>Apple Computer, Inc.
>Communications Product Development

Um, Jerry, don't you think that $80 is a bit steep for part of
the "System Software"?  Perhaps you could enlighten us as to what
comes in the package that may or may not make it worth $80?
  I hardly think that a few 800K disks and and even a ream of
nice paper are worth $80. APDA made a point of saying that the
costs for "System Software" were merely to cover their costs.
$25 for "System Software" is acceptable. $40 if more paper
and disks will be sent later. No more. While I assume that
the CommToolbox has reached a state where I may think it better
to use the sample programs than to use the commercial
communications programs I use now, it's still "System Software".

-  Alexander M. Rosenberg  - INTERNET: alibaba@ucscb.ucsc.edu   - Yoyodyne    -
-  Crown College, UCSC     - UUCP:...!ucbvax!ucscc!ucscb!alibaba- Propulsion  -
-  Santa Cruz, CA 95064    - BITNET:alibaba%ucscb@ucscc.BITNET  - Systems     -
-  (408) 426-8869          - Disclaimer: Nobody is my employer  - :-)         -
-                          - so nobody cares what I say.        -             -

mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) (09/15/89)

Recently, someone asked what initializations are needed for CommToolbox
code.  Well, here is a working example, written in C.  By the way, this
was written in Think's C 4.0 (after I converted the CommToolbox library
and the .h files [read: removing the const keywords]).

Boolean CommInstalled(void);

void Initialize()
{

int err;

InitGraf(&thePort);
InitFonts();
FlushEvents( everyEvent, 0 );
InitWindows();
InitMenus();
TEInit();
InitDialogs(0L);
InitCursor();

/*  CommToolbox Inits */

if (CommInstalled())
{
	err=InitCRM();
	if (err<0)
		SysBeep(4);
	err=InitCTBUtilities();
	if (err<0)
		SysBeep(4);
	err=InitCM();
	if (err<0)
		SysBeep(4);
	err=InitTM();
	if (err<0)
		SysBeep(4);
	err=InitFT();
	if (err<0)
		SysBeep(4);
}

}

#include <OSUtil.h>

Boolean CommInstalled()
{
	long val1,val2;

	val1 = NGetTrapAddress( 0x8B ,OSTrap);
	val2 = NGetTrapAddress( 0x9F , OSTrap);
	if (val1==val2)
		return false;
	else
		return true;
}

Of course, if an error was reported above, you would probably want to do
something about it, but for simplicity (and optomistic laziness) I haven't
added that yet.

I have verified that this does in fact work by using a small main program
that first finds the procID of the Modem tool, then gets a new connection
handle, puts up a standard Choose dialog, and then opens a connection.  Sure
enough, my modem starts dialing...

So, in less than 10 lines of code, I have managed to get a connection going.
Very impressive.  Next I need to try the terminal manager...

-Michael

--
Michael Niehaus        UUCP: <backbones>!{iuvax,pur-ee}!bsu-cs!mithomas
Apple Student Rep      ARPA:  mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu

jerryg@Apple.COM (Jerry Godes) (09/15/89)

In article <10130@bsu-cs.bsu.edu> mithomas@bsu-cs.bsu.edu (Michael Thomas Niehaus) writes:
>	err=InitCM();
>	if (err<0)
>		SysBeep(4);

Thanks for posting your init code...  But a small point about the above lines.
InitXX (CM, TM, FT) can return positive errors as well.  This call checks to
see if any tools are currently installed and returns XXNoTools.  Although this
might not make a difference at init time (since tools can be installed while
your program is running), this allows you to warn your users that they haven't
installed the appropriate tools yet.

Jerry Godes
CommToolbox Janitor

jwright@cs.iastate.edu (Jim Wright) (01/22/90)

svc@well.UUCP (Leonard Rosenthol) writes:
| >5) My program works fine over serial lines.  I'd like it to work over
| >ethernet, and maybe AppleTalk.
|
| 	Welcome to the CommToolbox!  This is probably the most important of
| the functions of the CTB and that is to make the transport mechanism of data
| more transparent to applications.  This means that given the proper tools, you
| app could speak serial, ADSP, Telnet, LAT, etc. and now care!
| 	It will require you to change many parts of your code and there all
| new routines and new calling conventions.  I would suggest that you get
| yourself a copy of the CTB from ADPA and get playing!

How?  Is this "privileged information" or can mere mortals get it?
How much?

Is CTB for developers, or do users have to install something extra to use
programs which use CTB?

I want to delve a little deeper into networking.  I thought that writing a
network chat type program would be a good way to learn.  Is the CTB a good
place to start?  My testbed is a mixed LocalTalk and Ethernet net running
AppleShare.

--
Jim Wright
jwright@atanasoff.cs.iastate.edu

Eliot.Henry@samba.acs.unc.edu (BBS Account) (08/08/90)

What is this communication toolbox people keep mentioning?
Where can i get it? FTP or is it from apple?

delepiw@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU (Wesley Delepierre) (08/12/90)

This may sound like a silly question but where can I get or buy the
Comm. Toolbox?

Thanks,
WES

rdclark@Apple.COM (Richard Clark) (08/15/90)

Wes --

  You can get the Communications Toolbox from APDA at 800/282-2732 (U.S.), or
408/562-3910. Or you can wait for System 7.

 And while you're at it, take a look at the current issue of develop (issue #3)
which contains the source code for a Communications Toolbox-using application.

...Richard Clark
   Instructor/Course Designer
   Developer University
   Apple Computer, Inc.
--
Richard Clark                | "If you don't know where you're going,

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han, fire fighter) (08/17/90)

In article <19798@orstcs.CS.ORST.EDU> delepiw@nyssa.CS.ORST.EDU.UUCP (Wesley Delepierre) writes:
>This may sound like a silly question but where can I get or buy the
>Comm. Toolbox?
>
>Thanks,
>WES

APDA has it now.  And it may soon be available by anaonymous FTP from Apple.