[comp.sys.mac.programmer] SADE/LIB-LINK An S&L Crisis??

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) (08/18/90)

HELP ME PLEASE!  I'M A HURTIN' PUPPY.

I have been unable to set SADE breakpoints in Library source files
despite the fact that the library was Lib'd with -sym full and the
application was linked with -sym full.  I can break in app sources
just fine.  What am I missing?  My understanding was that Lib generated
the appropriate symbol info and Link incorporated it.  Since SADE can
set breaks in my app sources it surely is finding my .SYM file.  Why
can it not find the syms for the library in (supposedly) the same .SYM
file?

Won't you give this pet a good home?  WOOF!

"Read My Lips: No Nude Texans!" - George Bush clearing up a misunderstanding

mneerach@a.inf.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) (08/20/90)

In article <23759@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) writes:
>I have been unable to set SADE breakpoints in Library source files
>despite the fact that the library was Lib'd with -sym full and the
>application was linked with -sym full.  I can break in app sources
>just fine.  What am I missing?  My understanding was that Lib generated
>the appropriate symbol info and Link incorporated it.  Since SADE can
>set breaks in my app sources it surely is finding my .SYM file.  Why
>can it not find the syms for the library in (supposedly) the same .SYM
>file?

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "library", but if it's something
residing in a different folder than your application, you shouldn't forget
to add the library folder to SADE's sourcepath (some command like
"sourcepath add <mylibraryfolder>" should do the trick).

Matthias

-----
Matthias Neeracher                                   mneerach@c.inf.ethz.ch
  "I wouldn't recommend sex, drugs or insanity for everyone,
   but they've always worked for me" -- Hunter S. Thompson

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (08/21/90)

In article <23759@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) writes:
>I have been unable to set SADE breakpoints in Library source files
>despite the fact that the library was Lib'd with -sym full and the
>application was linked with -sym full.  I can break in app sources
>just fine.

I've also seen this behavior. Sometimes it helps to be explicit about
naming the breakpoints. See the SADE manual: there's a full qualification
scheme, like "break \myunit\myfunc.(12)". But the most reliable way for
me is to "open source myfile.c" (source says open read only), then
*point* to the line of code, and say "There! Break *right there*!"
(command-B also helps).

If only it would display globals, regardless of where they were defined...
and macros! Like Think C! If only we had fewer than 255 segments, I could
be using it...

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com

P.S. Anyone see that exciting new product "dBASE IV RunTime PLUS for
Macintosh, Version 1.1" at MacWorld? (The name spirals all the way
around the T-shirt).

llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) (08/21/90)

In article <2809@neptune.inf.ethz.ch> mneerach@a.inf.ethz.ch (Matthias Ulrich Neeracher) writes:
>In article <23759@dartvax.Dartmouth.EDU> llama@eleazar.dartmouth.edu (Joe Francis) writes:
>>I have been unable to set SADE breakpoints in Library source files
>>despite the fact that the library was Lib'd with -sym full and the
>>application was linked with -sym full.

>I'm not exactly sure what you mean by a "library", but if it's something
>residing in a different folder than your application, you shouldn't forget
>to add the library folder to SADE's sourcepath (some command like
>"sourcepath add <mylibraryfolder>" should do the trick).

No, SADE knows where your source is once you've opened it :-).

The problem was I could open a library source and attempt to set a breakpoint
and SADE would say "No SYM for yo source, dude" (well, something like that).
I had compiled, libbed, and linked with the appropriate options - and,
although it is irrelevant to the problem (at least I hope so) I had set
"sourepath" to include both my app and lib sources.

About one hour after I posted on this problem, it disappeared.  I didn't
change anything that would seem relevent, and suddenly SADE was working.

Oh well.  I've also had MPW forget the window locations for MPW text files,
and I've had variable evaluation (via brackets: {}) sometimes introduce
leading blanks for no apparent reason.  Can't get thee to reproduce on demand,
so I haven't sent Apple anything.

"Read My Lips: No Nude Texans!" - George Bush clearing up a misunderstanding