[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Multiple users under AppleShare??

DN5@psuvm.psu.edu (08/21/90)

Hi:

I am finishing up a program which is supposed to be able to be used by
multiple users simultaniously under AppleShare.  For some reason, even
though the program (and its data files) are locked this doesn't work
on the target network.  It does work on my network.

When the second user tries to open the application, the message "This
application is busy or missing" results.  How can I prevent this from
occuring again?

()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()()
D. Jay Newman                !  All syllogisms have three parts,
dn5@psuvm.psu.edu            !  therefore this is not a syllogism.
CBEL--Teaching and Learning Technologies Group

ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) (08/21/90)

Start up ResEdit, do a "Get Info" on your application file, and set the
"Shared" bit. Save your change. That should be all there is to it.

We hit this problem with applications on read-only volumes, which
baffles me--can someone from Apple tell us why this is necessary? Why can't
you unconditionally multi-launch an application on a read-only volume,
regardless of whether it's marked "Shared" or not? It's not going to
make any difference to the application code, no matter how badly it's written.

Is it just a way of discouraging licensing violations?

Lawrence D'Oliveiro                       fone: +64-71-562-889
Computer Services Dept                     fax: +64-71-384-066
University of Waikato            electric mail: ldo@waikato.ac.nz
Hamilton, New Zealand    37^ 47' 26" S, 175^ 19' 7" E, GMT+12:00
Founder of Breaker Electrical empire knighted--is now Sir Kit Breaker.

cy@dbase.A-T.COM (Cy Shuster) (08/22/90)

In article <1277.26d16a83@waikato.ac.nz> ccc_ldo@waikato.ac.nz (Lawrence D'Oliveiro, Waikato University) writes:
>Why can't
>you unconditionally multi-launch an application on a read-only volume,
>regardless of whether it's marked "Shared" or not? It's not going to
>make any difference to the application code, no matter how badly it's written.

A multi-launch app has to worry about things like include making sure
that temporary file names you create are unique per each user, and so on.
That's why the default is to prevent multi-launch.

--Cy--
cy@dbase.a-t.com