[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Question on Installer

domenikos@emass1.enet.dec.com (George Domenikos) (08/21/90)

Hi there,

I am trying to install some resources into the system file and I was
working on writting a piece of code using the resource manager to do the job
until someone told me that the best way to go about it is using the
installer ( a apple utility that was made for that purpose).
However in order to use the installer I would have to write a script
that the installer can read.

- Does anyone know what the format of an installer script is?
- Does anyone have an example of an installer script which adds resources
  into the system file?

Thanks in advance
--george---

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (08/22/90)

In article <1864@mountn.dec.com> domenikos@emass1.enet.dec.com (George
Domenikos) writes:
> I am trying to install some resources into the system file and I was
> working on writting a piece of code using the resource manager to do the
job
> until someone told me that the best way to go about it is using the
> installer ( a apple utility that was made for that purpose).
> However in order to use the installer I would have to write a script
> that the installer can read.

The installer and its scripts are documented in Tech Note #75. The March
14, 1986 version of the note describes the older Installer 2.1; the April
1990 version of the note describes the nifty new Installer 3.0.1.

I expect you'll need a license from Apple to distribute the Installer with
your software, if that's what you intend to do.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."