[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How to get arrow cursor in cDev?

spector@acf5.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) (08/22/90)

Does anyone have any pointers on how to get a cdev to allow use of the Arrow
cursor?  QuicKeys seems to be able to do it, and smoothly at that.
The only way I can get  the cursor to be an arrow seems to be on idle
messages, and I am constantly fighting with the system who is setting
it to the cross-hair...

any idea would be appreciated....

Thanks  Much,
  _DHMS
                                                        David HM Spector
Software Developer & Nice Guy                           310 West 18th Street 5A
ARPAnet: SPECTOR@NYU.EDU                                New York, N.Y. 10011
Usenet: ..!{uunet,rocky,harvard}!cmcl2!spector          voice: (212) 243-5548
HamRadio: N2BCA (44.68.0.50)  MCIMail: DSpector         data:  (212) 255-6995
AppleLink: DHMSpector   CompuServe: 71260,1410
"Capital punishment is our society's recognition of the sanctity of human life"
                        - Senator Orrin Hatch
"The two most common things in the universe are hydrogen and stupidity."
                        - Harlan Ellison

murat@farcomp.UUCP (Murat Konar) (08/23/90)

In article <1224@acf5.NYU.EDU> spector@acf5.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:

>Does anyone have any pointers on how to get a cdev to allow use of the Arrow
>cursor?  QuicKeys seems to be able to do it, and smoothly at that.
>The only way I can get  the cursor to be an arrow seems to be on idle
>messages, and I am constantly fighting with the system who is setting

From TN 215 "New" cdev messages:
"If the cdev contains a 'CURS' = -4064 resource, the Control
Panel will send it a cursorDev message whenever the cursor
is over the cdev part of the Control PanelUs window instead
of setting the cursor to the light cross.  The cdev can then
set and use its own cursor.  The Control Panel will handle
the cursor elsewhere on the screen.  The Control Panel does
not examine the contents of the 'CURS' = -4064 resource."

Note that you will still have to set the cursor yourself.
The inclusion of the 'CURS' = -4064 resource is simply a
signal to the control panel mechanism that you wish to receive
the cursorDev message.
Have a day. :^|
Murat N. Konar
murat@farcomp.UUCP             -or-          farcomp!murat@apple.com

carlton@draco (Mike Carlton) (08/23/90)

In article <1224@acf5.NYU.EDU> spector@acf5.NYU.EDU (David HM Spector) writes:
>Does anyone have any pointers on how to get a cdev to allow use of the Arrow
>cursor?  QuicKeys seems to be able to do it, and smoothly at that.
>The only way I can get  the cursor to be an arrow seems to be on idle
>messages, and I am constantly fighting with the system who is setting
>it to the cross-hair...
>
>any idea would be appreciated....
>
>Thanks  Much,
>  _DHMS

To get an arrow cursor, simply add a 'CURS' -4064 resource to your cdev file.
The contents of the cursor don't matter, its presence tells the control
panel not to change to the cross.  If you want something other than an arrow,
you can react to the new 'cursdev' (I forget the exact constant) message by
setting the cursor to your cursor.

All this is detailed in a tech note, unfortunately I don't remember which
one.  If you have the tech notes stack, look up cdev in the index and you'll
find the tech note.

Email me if you need more details and I'll look them up at home.

Cheers,
Mike Carlton, UC Berkeley Computer Science	  	  	   	  ~
carlton@ernie.berkeley.edu    ...!ucbvax!ernie!carlton 		 	Manana