[comp.sys.mac.programmer] C++ vs "C+-": any big diff?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (08/14/90)

------

Just picked up Dan Weston's "Elements of C++ Macintosh Programming".  It's
good, and I'm interested in learning C++.

But I had a question: I have THINK C (or "C+-", as Weston terms it).  Is there
any reason (besides wanting to pull the economy out of the possibly coming
recession) that one would want to buy MPW C++ to use instead?  Or should one
just wait until THINK C 5.0 comes out?  Hey, I know MPW C++ is mucho bucks, and
I'm not even sure I can afford it.  But if I'm going to learn C++, I'm keen on
learning the proper syntax, and from what I can glean from scanning Weston's
appendix on THINK C, there are some substantial differences which might lead to
bad (or at least sub-optimal) C++ programming style (no protected and private
protection levels in classes comes to mind).

I know I should probably wait 'til THINK C 5.0 comes out -- and that may end up
being what I do -- , but I'm curious what your opinions are.

Thanks for any advice!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

cory@three.mv.com (Cory Kempf) (08/22/90)

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:

>But I had a question: I have THINK C (or "C+-", as Weston terms it).  Is there
>any reason (besides wanting to pull the economy out of the possibly coming
>recession) that one would want to buy MPW C++ to use instead?

Perhaps, if one wanted an implimentation of C++ (as opposed to an implimentation
of C with objects thrown in).  MPW C++ is a port of AT&T's CFront.  One
might also want such things as makefiles, revision control, the capability
to look at the C or assembly code produced by one's compiler.  One might
also want to be MacApp (a class library for the Mac), or, one might just
want an environment that gave them a unix like shell and tools as opposed
to think C's interface.  One might also want things like Inside Mac I-VI
and TechNotes on line and integrated with the shell.

But then again, perhaps not.

>								Or should one
>just wait until THINK C 5.0 comes out?

From what the folks at Think said at MacWorld, Think C will never be C++.
If they did a C++ (my bet is they will), it will be a seperate product.

>					Hey, I know MPW C++ is mucho bucks, and
>I'm not even sure I can afford it.

It is expensive -- currently, for people serious about doing C++, it is $995
plus the price of a CD player (this is actually the price for ETO.  The price
for just C++, C (required), and MPW (required), SADE (almost required),
MacsBug(necessary), and ResEdit(essential) is on the order of $675.  ETO
gives all of that, plus MacApp, Object Pascal, and upgrades for a year.

>					But if I'm going to learn C++, I'm keen on
>learning the proper syntax, and from what I can glean from scanning Weston's
>appendix on THINK C, there are some substantial differences which might lead to
>bad (or at least sub-optimal) C++ programming style (no protected and private
>protection levels in classes comes to mind).

Not to mention things like operators, multiple inheritance, etc.  Think C is
not C++.  It is C with some Object Enhancements thrown in.  What you learn
from Think C is applicable to C++, (but can't be used on another C compiler)
but is not the whole story.

>I know I should probably wait 'til THINK C 5.0 comes out -- and that may end up
>being what I do -- , but I'm curious what your opinions are.

It all depends on when you want to start learning C++.

+C
--
Cory Kempf				I do speak for the company (sometimes).
The EnigamI Co.							603 883 2474

peter@hari.VIEWlogic.com (Peter Colby) (08/24/90)

In article <435@three.mv.com>, cory@three.mv.com (Cory Kempf) writes:

|> From what the folks at Think said at MacWorld, Think C will never be C++.
|> If they did a C++ (my bet is they will), it will be a seperate product.

        Actually, as I recall from a conversation with Rich Siegal (I hope
that's spelt right) at MacWorld:

        1) Think may or may not be working on a C++
        2) If they were working on a C++ it might or might not be released
           as part of some possibly future version of Think C.

        In other words, noone was admitting to nothing. However, I did get
the impression that a separate C++ product might be desireable from a
technical/development viewpoint but that marketing (Symantec I assume) might
have other ideas.

        Hey, it was early in the morning; I could be wrong.

      (O) !the doctor is out! (O)     (0) peter@viewlogic.com (0)