[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Mac FX doesn't approve of any debugger :

aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) (08/22/90)

Hi,

I've been using a Max fx for all my coding for the past two weeks.
Nothing special about that; except, I can't get any debugger to run on
the darn thing. MacsBug 6.1, TMON, The Debugger, and SADE 3.1 are
strictly off limits for the fx.

MacsBug wont respond to the keyboard.
TMON simply blows.
TheDebugger complains about some ROM inconsitancy and blows.
SADE 3.1, requires Multifinder 6.1b7 which unfortunatly wont run.

So could anyone tell me whether there is a new version of Multifinder
or MacsBug that do run on a fx?

Thanks in advance.
---
Mimir (aries@rhi.hi.is) - Aries, Inc.

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (08/22/90)

In article <2081@krafla.rhi.hi.is> aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) writes:
>I've been using a Max fx for all my coding for the past two weeks.
>Nothing special about that; except, I can't get any debugger to run on
>the darn thing. MacsBug 6.1, TMON, The Debugger, and SADE 3.1 are
>strictly off limits for the fx.
>
>MacsBug wont respond to the keyboard.
>TMON simply blows.
>TheDebugger complains about some ROM inconsitancy and blows.
>SADE 3.1, requires Multifinder 6.1b7 which unfortunatly wont run.
>
>So could anyone tell me whether there is a new version of Multifinder
>or MacsBug that do run on a fx?

You'll need Macsbug 6.2 (available from APDA) in order to work on the IIfx.
More than likely, all other debuggers will have problems running as well
since it's no longer possible to talk to ADB directly to get keypresses, etc.
I don't know why the other debuggers are having problems (they must be doing
something bad :-))...

steve

  Steve Christensen             Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
  Apple Computer, Inc.          AppleLink:  STEVEC
  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 81-CS   CompuServe: 76174,1712
  Cupertino, CA  95014

  "You just contradicted me."  "No I didn't."

marc@Apple.COM (Mark Dawson) (08/22/90)

In article <2081@krafla.rhi.hi.is> aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) writes:
>Hi,
>
>I've been using a Max fx for all my coding for the past two weeks.
>Nothing special about that; except, I can't get any debugger to run on
>the darn thing. MacsBug 6.1, TMON, The Debugger, and SADE 3.1 are
>strictly off limits for the fx.
>
>MacsBug wont respond to the keyboard.
>TMON simply blows.
>TheDebugger complains about some ROM inconsitancy and blows.
>SADE 3.1, requires Multifinder 6.1b7 which unfortunatly wont run.
>
>So could anyone tell me whether there is a new version of Multifinder
>or MacsBug that do run on a fx?

The IIfx requires MacsBug 6.2.  The current version (internal) that I have is
6.2a10.  What version a developer can get I have no idea.

I was under the impression that SADE (1.1) requires Multifinder 6.1b9, not b7.

If you call up ICOM and Jasik (makers of TMON and The Debugger respectively),
I'm sure they have upgrades for the IIfx (maybe not free, but they have them).

Mark

--
---------------------------------
Mark Dawson                Service Diagnostic Engineering

Apple says what it says; I say what I say.  We're different
---------------------------------

kaufman@Neon.Stanford.EDU (Marc T. Kaufman) (08/22/90)

In article <2081@krafla.rhi.hi.is> aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) writes:
>Hi,

.I've been using a Max fx for all my coding for the past two weeks.
.Nothing special about that; except, I can't get any debugger to run on
.the darn thing. MacsBug 6.1, TMON, The Debugger, and SADE 3.1 are
.strictly off limits for the fx.

.TheDebugger complains about some ROM inconsitancy and blows.

The Debugger runs fine on an FX, but you need a new ROM/CODE.snt file.
Write to Jasik.

Marc Kaufman (kaufman@Neon.stanford.edu)

d88-jwa@dront.nada.kth.se (Jon W{tte) (08/22/90)

In article <9873@goofy.Apple.COM> stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) writes:

>You'll need Macsbug 6.2 (available from APDA) in order to work on the IIfx.

Is there perhaps some other way of obtaining this beast ? Maybe
ftp off pub/dts/sw.license ?

							h+

	Jon W{tte, Stockholm, Sweden, h+@nada.kth.se

commons@sunburn.stanford.edu (Peter Commons) (08/23/90)

In article, (Reynir Hugason) writes:

>I've been using a Max fx for all my coding for the past two weeks.
>Nothing special about that; except, I can't get any debugger to run on
>the darn thing. MacsBug 6.1, TMON, The Debugger, and SADE 3.1 are
>strictly off limits for the fx.
>
>MacsBug wont respond to the keyboard.
>TMON simply blows.
>TheDebugger complains about some ROM inconsitancy and blows.
>SADE 3.1, requires Multifinder 6.1b7 which unfortunatly wont run.
>
>So could anyone tell me whether there is a new version of Multifinder
>or MacsBug that do run on a fx?

I've been having a similar problem with a IIci I just got. I'm running 6.0.5
with Multifinder & if I install Macsbug (5.2 or 6.1) it'll boot, but hitting
the programmer's switch just causes it to hang.

--
|~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~|
|   Peter Commons			"Zut, alors! I have meesed one!!!"    |

aries@rhi.hi.is (Reynir Hugason) (08/23/90)

Hi,

    Thanks for all the replies, I've received more than I can possibly
handle. But just to clear myself up, a bit, I ment SADE 1.1 and not
SADE 3.1 (another big OOOPS :-)).

    Here's the score:

	There's a new version of MacsBug called MacsBug 6.2b5 on
	AppleLink and various other Apple sources. (P.S. I just
	logged on to AppleLink and spent the last two hours downloading
	amazingly helpfull stuff that I had never taken the trouble
	to find. Boy is my boss gonna flip!!! Holding a phoneline to
	the US for two hours, ha, ha, ha, serves'im right 8))

	There's probably a new version of TMON and The Debugger, but
	I havn't talked to ICOM or Jasik recently, so I don't know
	for sure.

	It turns out that my SADE 1.0 upgrade was another SADE 1.0,
	which explains my reference to Multifinder 6.1b7. I must
	be more carefull in the near future with these update things.

Well that's about it, but before I logout here is another round of
thank you's to all who replied.

---
Mimir (aries@rhi.hi.is) /// I was starting to wonder if I was actually
so boring or whether I had set a new world record in kill file occupancy,
since not a single soul _ever_ answered my postings, when I noticed that
my distribution had always been local and boy was I pissed!
                                     - Another Unix success story -

rln@metasoft.UUCP (Roberta Norin) (08/23/90)

> In article, (Peter Commons) writes:
>

> I've been having a similar problem with a IIci I just got. I'm running 6.0.5
> with Multifinder & if I install Macsbug (5.2 or 6.1) it'll boot, but hitting
> the programmer's switch just causes it to hang.

 I've been having a similar problem with MacsBug 5.4 on a IICX and
System 6.05. Will MacsBug 6.2 help? Where can it be obtained?

Roberta Norin

jordan@Apple.COM (Jordan Mattson) (08/24/90)

Dear Friend -
  SADE 1.1 will work with MultiFinder 6.1B9, which will run on the FX.  It is
available on AppleLink in the DTS folder, or it is available as part of the
SADE 1.1 distribution on E.T.O - Essentials - Tools - Objects #1.

--

Jordan Mattson                         UUCP:      jordan@apple.apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.                   CSNET:     jordan@apple.CSNET