[net.micro] IBM Offerings

farber%udel-eecis1.udeecis@udel-ee.arpa (11/02/83)

From:      Dave Farber <farber%udel-eecis1.udeecis@udel-ee.arpa>

(#399,  61 lines)
Date:     Sun, 23 Oct 83 9:44:27 EDT
From:     Manny Farber <manny@udel-eecis3.udeecis>
To:       news@udel-eecis3.udeecis
Subject:  new ibm pc products

At the IEEE personal computer conference, I saw an IBM 3270-PC.

The IBM 3270 was good.  Originally, the IBM person  there  booted
the  system  without a diskette in the drive, so it started up in
cassette BASIC.  The screen quality was at least as good as  that
of the monochrome display, but in color.  From BASIC, however, it
doesn't do graphics.  It acts like  a  monochrome,  except,  that
instead  of underlining, etc. it has the colors used on the color
card.

The keyboard was a superset of the IBM PC keyboard.  Even so, the
layout  was a world better.  There were nice big return and shift
keys, and the keys were easier to press.  There are  legends  all
over  the place on the keys; blue legends are for IBM PC specific
usages.  There are twenty extra function keys in two rows  across
the  top.  IBM sells this keyboard seperately for $295.  However,
I looked in the back, and the keyboard was plugged into a card in
a  feature  slot; a cable came from the card and plugged into the
normal place for the keyboard.

The 3270 can have  7  windows;  4  for  terminals,  2  for  local
scratchpads,  and  1  for an IBM PC.  The one for the IBM PC only
works with programs that only use the  ROM-BIOS  and  PC-DOS  for
screen  addressing.  This  is  necessary, but severely limits the
usage.

According to  IBM  literature,  the  3270  has  "advanced  screen
management"  which  allows  the  user to move windows, change the
sizes of windows, select background colors,  define  combinations
of  windows  in up to ten logical screens, define user-controlled
display area  to  view  a  presentation  space  (which  logically
represents a host [upto 3440 characters] or a local session [2000
characters]).  Copy between presentation spaces, transfer binary,
EBCDIC,  ASCII  files,  etc.  If anyone has any questions, I have
the product announcement; address mail to MFARBER@UDEL-RELAY.

IBM has several models from $4290 through $7180.  The IBM  person
said that a PC can NOT be ubgraded to a 3270.

They didn't have it there an  XT/370  there,  but  they  had  the
product  announcement for it. (Delivery is 1Q '84).  I will quote
from the beginning of the product  announcement:  "IBM  announces
the  IBM Personal Computer XT/370, an extended version of the IBM
XT.  The IBM PC is a System/370 workstation  which  can  interact
with   a   System/370   host.    When   the   new   IBM   Virtual
Machine/Personal Computer licensed  program  is  installed,  many
unaltered  CMS  Sys/370  programs  can  run  on  the workstation.
System/370 functions have been achieved  while  mainting  IBM  PC
compatibility."  An  XT  can be upgraded to an XT/370.  IBM has a
special Expansion  Unit  for  the  XT/370.  I  have  the  product
announcement for that, too if anyone has any questions.

-Manny