[comp.sys.mac.programmer] how to print a pre-existing postscript to Laserwriter?

jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (John E. Girard) (08/15/90)

From time to time, we receive files off the net that contain
documents and pictures in postscript format.  Printing these
files is no big deal on a UNIX or DOS box:  I just cat the
file directly to the LaserWriter.  But I am not clear
how to do it on a Macintosh.  My office-mates back east who
are on the macs don't know enough to figure it out, and I don't
have a mac or time to experiment.  I called Apple and they
said I had to buy a program called PS Dump from Adobe.  Imagine
that! having to buy a program to do raw I/O!

Isn't there a simpler way?

John Girard
New Science Associates, Inc.
VOICE: 415-968-3324
FAX:   415-968-0862
jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG

--

John Girard
New Science Associates, Inc.

gelphman@adobe.COM (David Gelphman) (08/24/90)

In article <1990Aug14.193244.10365@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG> jeg@zorch.SF-Bay.ORG (John E. Girard) writes:

>From time to time, we receive files off the net that contain
>documents and pictures in postscript format.  Printing these
>files is no big deal on a UNIX or DOS box:  I just cat the
... stuff deleted
>have a mac or time to experiment.  I called Apple and they
>said I had to buy a program called PS Dump from Adobe.  Imagine
>that! having to buy a program to do raw I/O!
   There is a program that Adobe makes available called SendPS. It
lets you send a text file to whatever printer you have selected in
the chooser of your Macintosh. The program is available from the usual
places: the Adobe Forum on Compuserve, the Sumex archives, etc.
   You can also get an equivalent program from the Adobe file server.
Send a message to 'ps-file-server@adobe.com' and make the subject
line 'help'. You will receive (in a day or two) a message telling you
how to use the server. When you find out how to retrieve programs get
the program 'MacDistillPS.sit.hqx'. It is a stuffit archive and the
program Distill will allow you to send PostScript files to your printer
AS PostScript files, not listings of your PostScript programs.
   Hope this helps,
David Gelphman
Adobe Systems Incorporated

phils@chaos.cs.brandeis.edu (Phil Shapiro) (08/27/90)

In Apple's Q&A stack (shipped on the Developer's CD) there is long
note (with code) that describes how to send postscript code to your
printer.  It also X-refs Tech Note #91.  This info is useful if you
want to write your own program that sends postscript.  The Q&A card
number was 159, from stack version 3.4.

	-phil shapiro, symantec tech support
--
Phil Shapiro