[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Editor Engines?

matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) (08/24/90)

Does anyone know of any editor engines that I can plug into an application
that I am writing?  I'd like to find one that doesn't use TextEdit, but
supports syled text.  I should be able to use it with MPW C or THINK C.
Source code is a plus.  Public domain, shareware, or commercial products
are all ok.  If you've had the opportunity to use one, tell me of your
experiences.  What's the programming interface like?  How does it work?
Thanks in advance.

/Matt

Matt Kingman - Macintosh Software Engineer
Pacer Software Inc. - Westboro, MA 01581
Disclaimer:  I speak only for myself.....

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (08/24/90)

In article <195@pacvax.UUCP> matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) writes:

>Does anyone know of any editor engines that I can plug into an application
>that I am writing?  I'd like to find one that doesn't use TextEdit, but
>supports syled text.  I should be able to use it with MPW C or THINK C.

Yes there is one called "Word solution engine" by DataPak software.
Object code is $300.00 you can phone them @ 800-327-6703 or 206 573-9155.

>Source code is a plus.  Public domain, shareware, or commercial products

They will sell you source code but I think it cost $2500. (ouch)

>are all ok.  If you've had the opportunity to use one, tell me of your
>experiences.  What's the programming interface like?  How does it work?
>Thanks in advance.

It works like TE but doesn't have TE's 32k limit.

I just received version 1.5 of it in the mail yesterday. Much improved over the
beta version I had previously.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) (08/28/90)

In article <15541@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@unix.UUCP (Matt Mora) writes:
>In article <195@pacvax.UUCP> matt@pacvax.UUCP (Matt Kingman) writes:
>>
>>Does anyone know of any editor engines that I can plug into an application
>>that I am writing?  I'd like to find one that doesn't use TextEdit, but
>
>Yes there is one called "Word solution engine" by DataPak software.
>Object code is $300.00 you can phone them @ 800-327-6703 or 206 573-9155.

I'm also interested, but need more information.  Has anyone used this in
a major or commercial program?  What about hooks for superscript and sub-
script?  Hooks for a "show invisibles" command?  All caps and small caps?

The source is in 68000 assembler, though they are apparently working on a
C version.  I'm seriously concerned about the questions of upgrades,
changes to support future System software, etc.

--
--  Help me justify my online bills: ask me EndNote questions, please!  --
Avi Rappoport                               2000 Hearst, Berkeley, CA 94709

robert@polari.UUCP (robert) (08/29/90)

In article <20056@well.sf.ca.us>, nilesinc@well.sf.ca.us (Avi Rappoport) writes:

> >>Does anyone know of any editor engines that I can plug into an application
> >>that I am writing?  I'd like to find one that doesn't use TextEdit, but
> >
> >Yes there is one called "Word solution engine" by DataPak software.
> >Object code is $300.00 you can phone them @ 800-327-6703 or 206 573-9155.
>

> I'm also interested, but need more information.  Has anyone used this in
> a major or commercial program?  What about hooks for superscript and sub-
> script?  Hooks for a "show invisibles" command?  All caps and small caps?

Well, I haven't used "Word Solution", but I am thinking about using it
for a progect I'm working on. I called DataPak, and they sent me a Demo
disk, complete with documentation on the procedure calls, source code
for a sample editor written with Word Solution, and the sample editor
application so you can see what it can do. I suggest you call them
and request it. It's a very nice demo.

The documentation claims that Word Solution supports "User Styles" - hooks
to customize chararcters. I don't know about superscripts or subscripts,
or "show invisibles". You should call and ask them.

Hope this info helps. When you call them, mention you heard about their
product on USENET. Maybe they'll post their product demos to
comp.binaries.mac. They gave me permission to post them to a local BBS.

By the way, Avi, What's EndNote?          (only kidding)  :)

|Robert Riebman                    |  robert@polari                     |
|Northwest Information Technology  | (...uw-beaver!sumax!polari!robert) |
|P.O. Box 3156                     |                                    |
|Redmond, WA     98073             |         "Hack and Enjoy"           |