[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Suggestions for Think Pascal

omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) (08/31/90)

Here's a couple of suggestions which I think would add a lot of utility
to the editors in the above mentioned languages:

1) This should be real easy:  There's plenty of room on the horizontal scroll
bar line.  Squish it to the right (a la MPW -- please not to mention that
name!)  and make a space for the name of the procedure or function whose
text is the top line of the editor.  Thus is the top line of the screen is
code from the procedure foobar, it will display foobar in the status box.

2) Harder: As the previous request shows, it is probably obvious that many
of my procedures/functions are larger than a screen full - some are three
and four screen fulls (no flames please - I know that the idyllic Pascal
programmer only writes short curt little procedures which are then called
from other short curt little procedures - but it ain't my style.)  Thus, it
would be great to have a "collapse" command - whereby all the text between
the begin on the current line and it's companion end can be collapsed like
an outliner.  You could display a single line (maybe a tilde ~?) and perhaps
a diamond shape (where the stop signs are now) to indicate the collaspe.

Naturally, clicking on the diamond or the tilde would restore the text to
its original full glory.  Of course, the text would really be there, but
once you've debugged a section of code, you could collapse it so that
you could get the whole procedure displayed in one screenful.

-Owen

Oh, one more thing. I mentioned this to David Neal at the last BCS techgroup
meeting he attended, but I don't know if he remembers:  If there could be
an option to allow the windows to remember their scrolled position from the
last time they appeared.  Windows always open to the start of the unit, but
usually I was down in the dirt working on some crud on the bottom when it
all crashed.

Owen Hartnett				omh@cs.brown.edu.CSNET
Brown University Computer Science	omh@cs.brown.edu
					uunet!brunix!omh
"Don't wait up for me tonight because I won't be home for a month."

hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu (Herb Poppe) (08/31/90)

In article <48689@brunix.UUCP> omh@cs.brown.edu (Owen M. Hartnett) writes:
> Here's a couple of suggestions which I think would add a lot of utility
> to the editors in the above mentioned languages:
>
> 1) ...
>
> 2) ... Thus, it would be great to have a "collapse" command - whereby
all the text between
> the begin on the current line and it's companion end can be collapsed
like
> an outliner.

I second this and would like to encourage THINK to add more "language
sensitive editor" features to their compiler environments. For example, it
would be useful to have a "palette" of syntactically correct language
forms (case statement, record definition, etc.). Click on one, it gets
inserted at the current cursor location. A nice feature for those of us
that constantly move from language to language during the work day (if its
10:00, this must be "C").

In another vein, I hope THINK will branch out and develop other
programmer's tools. How about an "interface builder" for the TCL? Then I'd
like to see them give Aranda a run for the money.

Herb Poppe             hpoppe@ncar.ucar.edu
NCAR                      (303) 497-1296
1850 Table Mesa Dr.
Boulder, CO  80307-3000

niko@du248-16.cc.iastate.edu (Schuessler Nikolaus E) (09/01/90)

Niko Schuessler