[comp.sys.mac.programmer] how can I reach Applelink?

nicolas@cnam.UUCP (Nicolas Berloquin) (08/21/90)

I've heard that there was a bridge between the alink Macapp.tech$ and
macapp.news$ groups and the news.
Does anyone have the name of this group?

                 Nico...
nicolas@cnam.cnam.fr

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) (08/31/90)

In article <196@cnam.UUCP> nicolas@cnam.UUCP (Nicolas Berloquin) writes:
>I've heard that there was a bridge between the alink Macapp.tech$ and
>macapp.news$ groups and the news.
>Does anyone have the name of this group?

MacApp.Tech$ can be read on apple.mac.app. I don't know if this also
includes MacApp.News$. CPlus.Dev$, I believe, can be read on apple.lang.c++.

At least, that's how they show up on my computer. I don't know if the
"apple" prefix means that their distribution is limited to just Apple.

INTERNET: keith@apple.com
"Argue for your Apple, and sure enough, it's yours" - Keith Rollin, Contusions

lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) (08/31/90)

keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:

>MacApp.Tech$ can be read on apple.mac.app. I don't know if this also
>includes MacApp.News$. CPlus.Dev$, I believe, can be read on apple.lang.c++.

>At least, that's how they show up on my computer. I don't know if the
>"apple" prefix means that their distribution is limited to just Apple.

Yup, that's what it means.  Only those privileged enough to have an account
on an Apple system can read the "Apple.*" groups.  (At least, they don't
feed them to _us_, but then again, I never asked since it was my understanding
that these are "internal" news groups.)

--Steve Lemke, Postmaster, Newsmaster, etc. for radius.com
--
----- Steve Lemke, Engineering Quality Assurance, Radius Inc., San Jose -----
----- Reply to: lemke@radius.com     (Note: NEW domain-style address!!) -----

mdtaylor@Apple.COM (Mark Taylor) (09/01/90)

In article <1316@radius.com> lemke@radius.com (Steve Lemke) writes:
>keith@Apple.COM (Keith Rollin) writes:
>
>>MacApp.Tech$ can be read on apple.mac.app. I don't know if this also
>>includes MacApp.News$. CPlus.Dev$, I believe, can be read on apple.lang.c++.
>
>>At least, that's how they show up on my computer. I don't know if the
>>"apple" prefix means that their distribution is limited to just Apple.
>
>Yup, that's what it means.  Only those privileged enough to have an account
>on an Apple system can read the "Apple.*" groups.  (At least, they don't
>feed them to _us_, but then again, I never asked since it was my understanding
>that these are "internal" news groups.)

While apple.mac.app and apple.lang.c++ are internal news groups, I believe
that the AppleLink group addresses from which their postings originate can
be accessed from the Internet.  Try mailing your posting to:
MacApp.Tech$@AppleLink.Apple.com or CPlus.Dev$@AppleLink.Apple.com.
When your message is sent to folks on AppleLink, there will be instructions
at the top for how they can reply to you.

- Mark