[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Does anybody really know what time it is...

mxmora@unix.SRI.COM (Matt Mora) (08/23/90)

I have some code that uses MacTCP to get the time (seconds
since midnight 1-1-1900 GMT) from any unix machine on the network that
implements RFC 868  and then  set my Mac clock accordingly.
(after calculations of daylight savings time and stuff like that)

Is there any machines on the network with the correct time? (i.e. time
server). It doesn't have to be totally accurate +/- a couple of seconds
is ok. (if I was interested in accurate time the I would implement NTP :-))

Thanks for any info that you might have.

Matthew Mora                |   my Mac  Matt_Mora@sri.com
SRI International           |  my unix  mxmora@unix.sri.com

jms@tardis.Tymnet.COM (Joe Smith) (08/28/90)

In article <15467@unix.SRI.COM> mxmora@sri-unix.sri.com (Matt Mora) writes:
>Is there any machines on the network with the correct time? (i.e. time
>server). It doesn't have to be totally accurate +/- a couple of seconds
>is ok. (if I was interested in accurate time the I would implement NTP :-))

Someone from india.colorado.edu posted a message that their machine is
always within a few seconds of the accurate time.  I've added this to
our /etc/hosts.

# In Boulder, Colorado, the National Institute of Standards and Technology
# (formerly called the National Bureau of Standards) broadcasts Universal
# Coordinated Mean Time (GMT) on radio station WWV.  You can hear the
# date/time by calling (303)499-7111.  To set the Unix system's clock to
# this accurate source, add "rdate india.colorado.edu &" to the server's
# rc.local file.  (Diskless clients automatically have their clock set from
# their file server.)  Note: This host needs to be in /etc/hosts because
# the domain name server is usually not running when rc.local is processed.
#
128.138.238.110 india.colorado.edu	# National Inst Standards & Tech (GMT)
#
# End of /etc/hosts

--
Joe Smith (408)922-6220 | SMTP: jms@tardis.tymnet.com or jms@gemini.tymnet.com
BT Tymnet Tech Services | UUCP: ...!{ames,pyramid}!oliveb!tymix!tardis!jms

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (08/29/90)

There's a number you can call at what used to be NBS that has a modem
and gives you the time.  One of the scripts that comes with
MacKnowledge calls this and uses the result to set the Mac clock.
The documents for this script claim that it even corrects for
phone line delay.

I had this set the time on my Mac, and then compared it to WWV.
The Mac clock and WWV were synchronized exactly within the limits
of my ability to perceive.

						Tim Smith

mmt@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Martin Taylor) (08/31/90)

There's an application (on sumex, I believe) called "SetClock" that
calls one of the standard clocks and sets the Mac clock.  If you are
a local telephone call away from such a clock, you are in good shape
with this one.  (I just checked.  It is on sumex-aim
info-mac/util/setclock-20.hqx
)
--
Martin Taylor (mmt@ben.dciem.dnd.ca ...!uunet!dciem!mmt) (416) 635-2048
There is no legal canon prohibiting the application of common sense

odell@bu-it.bu.edu (Jim O'Dell) (09/01/90)

In article <3490@client2.DRETOR.UUCP> mmt@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:

>There's an application (on sumex, I believe) called "SetClock" that
>calls one of the standard clocks and sets the Mac clock.  If you are
>a local telephone call away from such a clock, you are in good shape
>with this one.  (I just checked.  It is on sumex-aim
>info-mac/util/setclock-20.hqx
>)
I've been using SetClock now for several months now.
One thing that bothers me is that my Mac's (both the one at
work and the one at home) don't keep very good time. They gain
several seconds a day. My digital watch is a LOT better than
my computer at keeping time.

Anybody know why? Is there a fix?

andyp@treehouse.UUCP (Andy Peterman) (09/01/90)

In article <3490@client2.DRETOR.UUCP> mmt@client2.DRETOR.UUCP (Martin Taylor) writes:

>There's an application (on sumex, I believe) called "SetClock" that
>calls one of the standard clocks and sets the Mac clock.  If you are
>a local telephone call away from such a clock, you are in good shape
>with this one.

SetClock calls either a standard in Toronto or Norfolk, VA.  The call
never lasts more than a minute (it's completely automated), so the cost is
quite minimal, probably less than 25 cents (evening rate) from anywhere
in the US.  Depending on whether your call goes by way of satellite, the
Mac clock will be set to within a few seconds of "standard" time.

	Andy Peterman
	treehouse!andyp@gvgpsa.gvg.tek.com