[comp.sys.mac.programmer] "Word Processor Format Libary" from Claris?

gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu (09/05/90)

---------

My client -- who has just left on vacation -- sent me a note with the following
instructions:

"Contact Claris regarding the availability their new wordprocessor format
library.  This is a software library which has all the tools necessary to deal
with the internal formats of the major word processing systems.  I have seen
this software in use by On Location and it seems to work very well."

I called up Claris and they had no idea what he was talking about.  Does any of
you?  Perhaps he's referring to XTND?

On a related note: he may want me to write a word comparing app similar to
CompareRite or DocuComp (he likes those, but sez they mess with the file
format, such as styles, or something like that.  I don't know exactly what he
means, since he's gone).  He claims "The process of comparing two files to
produce a difference file is very simple to program and is often an exercise in
introductory programming texts."  Is this an accurate assessment of the
difficulty involved in reproducing something like either of the two commercial
programs above?  Somehow I'm skeptical.

Thanks for any info!

Robert

= gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu * generic disclaimer: * "It's more fun to =
=            		         * all my opinions are *  compute"         =
=                                * mine                *  -Kraftwerk       =

lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (Lloyd Lim) (09/06/90)

In article <1990Sep5.175728.1895@midway.uchicago.edu> gft_robert@gsbacd.uchicago.edu writes:
>On a related note: he may want me to write a word comparing app similar to
>CompareRite or DocuComp (he likes those, but sez they mess with the file
>format, such as styles, or something like that.  I don't know exactly what he
>means, since he's gone).  He claims "The process of comparing two files to
>produce a difference file is very simple to program and is often an exercise in
>introductory programming texts."  Is this an accurate assessment of the
>difficulty involved in reproducing something like either of the two commercial
>programs above?  Somehow I'm skeptical.

This is not quite true.  It is easy to produce a difference file.  It is hard
to produce an "optimal" difference file.  The difficulty lies in the fact that
when you have more than a few differences between two documents, there are
many ways to specify the changes.  There seems to be a fair amount of research
in this area and I know one professor who is currently working in this area.
I forget what the various complexity measures are for various aspects of this
problem.  I think I remember hearing that DocuComp is actually quite
sophisticated internally.

+++
Lloyd Lim     Internet: lim@iris.ucdavis.edu (128.120.57.20)
              Compuserve: 72647,660
              US Mail: 146 Lysle Leach Hall, U.C. Davis, Davis, CA 95616