[comp.sys.mac.programmer] OO Development Environments

rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu (Reid Ellis) (09/05/90)

In <5505@stpstn.UUCP> lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) writes:
|Sun2, Sun3, Sun4, Sun386, SCO unix, DG Aviion, HPs(a few), Apollo, IBM
|PS2, IBM RISC/6000, Next, IBM PS2, DEC 3100, DEC VAX, MSDOS and OS-2
|and I'm sure I've left out a few.
|
|Please note that I work for Stepstone and DO have an axe to grind.
|
|In this context, I speak for myself, not for Stepstone.
|
|Ken

A lot of people are still waiting for a Macintosh port.  Are there
any rumours of exclusivity contracts with NeXT and/or IBM that
might preclude any port of Objective C to the Macintosh in the
future?

[followups directed to comp.sys.mac.programmer]

					Reid
--
Reid Ellis  264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9               Canada
rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu || rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu || +1 416 487 1383

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (09/07/90)

In article <rae.652549926@fred> Reid Ellis <rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu> writes:
[...stuff deleted...]
>A lot of people are still waiting for a Macintosh port.  Are there
>any rumours of exclusivity contracts with NeXT and/or IBM that
>might preclude any port of Objective C to the Macintosh in the
>future?
>
>[followups directed to comp.sys.mac.programmer]
>
>					Reid
>--
>Reid Ellis  264 Broadway Avenue, Toronto ON, M4P 1V9               Canada
>rae@gpu.utcs.toronto.edu || rae%alias@csri.toronto.edu || +1 416 487 1383

I have not seen those contracts, but I believe I would know if there
were such exclusivity clauses.  Besides, Stepstone is doing new ports
all the time.

I belive that you are mistaken in your assertion that

	"A lot of people are still waiting for a Macintosh port."

If Stepstone had a lot of people asking for such a port, Stepstone
would do one.  As far as I can tell, there isn't enough money in it.

Years ago (around five), someone tried to do a Macintosh port.  All
sorts of environment restrictions got in the way, and the effort was
abandoned.

At the risk of sounding commercial, I suggest that those of you who
want Objective-C for the Macintosh let Stepstone know.  How much
memory do you have? (We suggest two megs for a PC.)  Which C Compiler
do you use?

DISCLAIMER: I do not speak for Stepstone, although I work for
Stepstone.

Ken

(203) 426-1875 @Stepstone