[comp.sys.mac.programmer] uucp -> mac ???

tomsu@cromemco.UUCP (Tom Cumming) (09/05/90)

	I am a unix person. I don't know a thing abount macs. I have
   a friend who has a mac. She knows nothing about unix. We want to talk.
   Or at least send mail back and forth...

	What I would like, (being a unix person) is some kind of software
   that she could run on her mac that she could use to "poll" my unix machine
   to see if anything was waiting for her. This program would have to know
   how to dial the number, login to the unix machine, and understand uucp
   protocols.

	Is there such a software package that can do (the above) job? If
   not, Does anyone know of any other ideas on unix <-> mac mail xfer?

	I am aware of software for macs on LAN's. This is'nt a LAN.

				Thanx, Tom C.

alen@crash.cts.com (Alen Shapiro) (09/06/90)

In article <39@cromemco.UUCP> tomsu@cromemco.UUCP (Tom Cumming) writes:

>	I am a unix person. I don't know a thing abount macs. I have
>   a friend who has a mac. She knows nothing about unix. We want to talk.
>   Or at least send mail back and forth...
>
>	What I would like, (being a unix person) is some kind of software
>   that she could run on her mac that she could use to "poll" my unix machine
>   to see if anything was waiting for her. This program would have to know
>   how to dial the number, login to the unix machine, and understand uucp
>   protocols.
>
>	Is there such a software package that can do (the above) job? If
>   not, Does anyone know of any other ideas on unix <-> mac mail xfer?
>
>	I am aware of software for macs on LAN's. This is'nt a LAN.

uupc was ported to the mac about a year ago, there's a copy on
Sumex (INFO-MAC) and another (more recent (v2.1)) on
comp.binaries.mac archives. There is rumored to be a commercial
version that includes news feeds and is fully MF friendly, available
"real soon" (like any decade now :-)), but in the interrim, the above
should help.

--alen the Lisa Slayer (trying to turn a SPARC into a flame)
    alen%shappy.uucp@crash.cts.com (a mac+ uucp host - what a concept!!)
    alen@crash.cts.com

alan@metasoft.UUCP (Alan Epstein) (09/08/90)

>... there's a copy on
>Sumex (INFO-MAC) and another (more recent (v2.1)) on
>comp.binaries.mac archives.

are the comp.binaries.mac archives available by mail or
only anonymous ftp?

Please send replies via e-mail. Avoid net clutter!

Alan Epstein
Meta Software Corp                   UUCP:  ...bbn!metasoft!alan
150 Cambridgepark Dr        Internet/ARPA:  alan%metasoft@bbn.com
Cambridge, MA 02140  USA