[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Split window

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (09/11/90)

I am beginning a programming project in which I want a split text window:
that is, I want a window with two scrollable regions (two thumb controls)
into which text will be typed. Just for your info, the text will be added
to each region such that you will not be able to edit the lines above you,
though you will be able to copy from them and see them by scrolling up. The
only editing you will be able to do is typing characters, return, backspace,
and pasting characters.

What would be the simplist way to implement this? The Window Manager only
provides one thumb control and no obvious way to implement two independent
scrolling regions. There is also nothing obvious in TE, and I do not want
most of TE's editing features.

Any suggestions appreciated.

pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

stevec@Apple.COM (Steve Christensen) (09/12/90)

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>I am beginning a programming project in which I want a split text window:
>that is, I want a window with two scrollable regions (two thumb controls)
>into which text will be typed. Just for your info, the text will be added
>to each region such that you will not be able to edit the lines above you,
>though you will be able to copy from them and see them by scrolling up. The
>only editing you will be able to do is typing characters, return, backspace,
>and pasting characters.
>
>What would be the simplist way to implement this? The Window Manager only
>provides one thumb control and no obvious way to implement two independent
>scrolling regions. There is also nothing obvious in TE, and I do not want
>most of TE's editing features.

The Window Manager just provides the windowing support.  What you do within
a window is up to you.  To implement a split window, you can just draw a line
in the middle of the window and put a scrollbar in each section.  Then clicking
on a particular scrollbar will scroll that section up or down.  If you wanted
to use TextEdit to handle all the text manipulation, you could also setup a
couple of TextEdit records--one for each section--and do the copies and pastes
into the currently active window section.

steve

  Steve Christensen             Internet:   stevec@goofy.apple.com
  Apple Computer, Inc.          AppleLink:  STEVEC
  20525 Mariani Ave, MS 81-CS   CompuServe: 76174,1712
  Cupertino, CA  95014

  "You just contradicted me."  "No I didn't."