[comp.sys.mac.programmer] How are some copy protections setup?

wolf@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu (09/14/90)

I know many will or cannot post code for protection schemes (as it would most
likely defeat the purpose).

I was wondering how large programs are copy protected, I would like to know
about two ways....The first is ones which can tell that they have been copied
and won't run, and second, ones which cannot be copied (as the data can't be
read from disk).

I don't mean simple things like setting the locked bit or anything like that,
but real ways...

Code most appreciated, descriptions or psuedo-code would be dandy also.

Thanks!
M Wolf

Hooper_TA@cc.curtin.edu.au (Todd Hooper) (09/14/90)

In article <1990Sep13.111657.1@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu>, wolf@mel.cipl.uiowa.edu writes:
> I know many will or cannot post code for protection schemes (as it would most
> likely defeat the purpose).

Well, apart from the standard 'store their name in the data fork' style
protection used by Microsoft and others...

One I came across recently in an expensive music program asked you to
install onto a hard drive. This appeared to copy four invisible files
to the top level of your HD. When the program ran, if it couldn't find
the files it promptly asked you to reinstall from the master disk or
somesuch.

Of course, this is a problem if your cheap Taiwanese master disk
goes bad all of a sudden and you want to shift the program to
another machine (as was the case with the musicians who thought they
would be able to move the program back and forth between two Macs).

Also, the data files had been screwed around with in some fashion which
made them impossible to copy completely. They seemed to contain just junk
but it was probably some encoded info about the drive it was on.

Another nice application made more annoying due to a brain dead
protection scheme.

Todd

pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu (Eric Pepke) (09/14/90)

All copy prevention mechanisms I have seen involve almost breaking the
operating system or hardware.  Some information is hidden where most
people don't look for it.  Either an archaic feature of the operating
system that nobody uses any more is used, or information is written
directly to a hardcoded track of the hard disk in a manner that no
application program has any business doing, or something like that.  When
the operating system or hardware gets changed or updated, most of these
systems break.

Copy prevention mechanisms have two main effects.  First, they annoy
users.  Second, they provide programmers with fifteen minutes of
puzzle-solving fun.

Eric Pepke                                    INTERNET: pepke@gw.scri.fsu.edu
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute MFENET:   pepke@fsu
Florida State University                      SPAN:     scri::pepke
Tallahassee, FL 32306-4052                    BITNET:   pepke@fsu

Disclaimer: My employers seldom even LISTEN to my opinions.
Meta-disclaimer: Any society that needs disclaimers has too many lawyers.

ts@cup.portal.com (Tim W Smith) (09/15/90)

Re: copy protection schemes that put invisible files on the disk.

The invisible files probably contain information about which disk
blocks are occupied by the application.

One way around this sort of protection is to install the thing on
a dedicated disk partition.  For example, if the program is 500K,
make a 600K SUM partition, and install it there.  You can now
make copies by copying the partition.

					Tim Smith