[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Modem Setting for Apple Modem Tool

dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) (09/18/90)

We recently received the final version of the Comm Toolbox tools.  Alas,
the new modem tool will not work with my modem (A Multitech MNP-5 2400 bps).
The old beta modem tool works JUST FINE.

I am assuming that the new tool is "smarter", and is confused by small per-
turbations from the Hayes responses.  I'm going to dig up a multitech
manual, and change all the settings so that it looks EXACTLY like a Hayes
modem, and I expect this to fix the problem.

My question is, has someone done this already?  Is someone keeping a list of
which settings are good for which modems?  Does anybody know what commands
and responses the new "Apple Modem Tool" uses and expects?

More generally, some of the other modem types listed have lots o' settings.
How does one discover (save by trial and error) what settings are appropriate?

The documentation on disk that came with the tools did not address this issue.
Internet: s-dorner@uiuc.edu  UUCP: uunet!uiucuxc!uiuc.edu!s-dorner

han@Apple.COM (Byron Han) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.220329.13040@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> dorner@pequod.cso.uiuc.edu (Steve Dorner) writes:
>We recently received the final version of the Comm Toolbox tools.  Alas,
>the new modem tool will not work with my modem (A Multitech MNP-5 2400 bps).
>The old beta modem tool works JUST FINE.

Let's here it for progress! :-)

>I am assuming that the new tool is "smarter", and is confused by small per-
>turbations from the Hayes responses.  I'm going to dig up a multitech
>manual, and change all the settings so that it looks EXACTLY like a Hayes
>modem, and I expect this to fix the problem.

How is it choking?

>My question is, has someone done this already?  Is someone keeping a list of
>which settings are good for which modems?  Does anybody know what commands
>and responses the new "Apple Modem Tool" uses and expects?

Basically, you should check the modem type in the Apple Modem Tool configur-
ation dialog.  If you option-click on the Modem Type popup, you can set
up your own initialization string.  Basically, the Apple Modem Tool wants
to be in verbose mode (returning things like CONNECT 300, NO CARRIER, etc.
[deliminted by CRLF's before AND after]).

Hope this helps.

Byron "Hmmmmmm" Han
       ^- get the reference?

| Disclaimer: Apple has no connection with my postings.                      |
Byron Han, CommToolbox Scapegoat     "DeAnza 3 - R.I.P. - 10/17/89 5:04PM"
20525 Mariani Ave, MS: 69L           Internet: han@apple.COM
Cupertino, CA 95014                  UUCP:{sun,voder,nsc,decwrl}!apple!han
------------------------------------ GENIE:BYRONHAN   CompuServe:72167,1664
ATTnet: 408-974-6450                 Applelink:HAN1   HAN1@applelink.apple.COM