[comp.sys.mac.programmer] Font in pop-up menu

resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) (09/17/90)

How do I change the font of a pop-up menu? It currently appears in
the system font (Chicago 12), but I would prefer it in Geneva 9, which
is the current port font. The buttons for the menus are all in Geneva 9.

Thanks,
pr
--
Pete Resnick             (...so what is a mojo, and why would one be rising?)
Graduate assistant - Philosophy Department, Gregory Hall, UIUC

kazim@Apple.COM (Alex Kazim) (09/18/90)

In article <1990Sep17.023442.29108@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>How do I change the font of a pop-up menu? It currently appears in
>the system font (Chicago 12), but I would prefer it in Geneva 9, which
>is the current port font. The buttons for the menus are all in Geneva 9.

Is this your own popup code, or are you using someone else's.  If it's your
own, you're up against a wall: MDEF 0 likes to do things in System font and
size.

The popup CDEF in the CommToolbox has a useWFont parameter which will
save you the trouble.

Alex Kazim, Apple Computer
Pop me up, tie me down

djvelleman@amherst.bitnet (09/18/90)

In article <44894@apple.Apple.COM>, kazim@Apple.COM (Alex Kazim) writes:
> In article <1990Sep17.023442.29108@ux1.cso.uiuc.edu> resnick@cogsci.uiuc.edu (Pete Resnick) writes:
>>How do I change the font of a pop-up menu? It currently appears in
>>the system font (Chicago 12), but I would prefer it in Geneva 9, which
>>is the current port font. The buttons for the menus are all in Geneva 9.
>>

> Is this your own popup code, or are you using someone else's.  If it's your
> own, you're up against a wall: MDEF 0 likes to do things in System font and
> size.
>
> The popup CDEF in the CommToolbox has a useWFont parameter which will
> save you the trouble.

  I asked a similar question recently and didn't find out what I wanted to
know.  I tried writing a MDEF which changes the system font to the one I want
to use in my menu, calls MDEF 0, and then changes the system font back.  It
didn't work--the menu still came up in Chicago.  How come?
  By the way, something that did work was a MDEF which changes fonts, then
calls a doctored version of MDEF 0 in which all calls to TextFont have been
removed, then restores the font.  Not the most elegant solution, but it saves
you the trouble of rewriting MDEF 0.  Why is MDEF 0 so fussy about the font?
Sometimes you really need a different font in a menu.

  What's this popup CDEF in the CommToolbox?  How do I get it, and how do I
find out how to use it?

     Dan Velleman
     Math Dept.,  Amherst College