[comp.sys.mac.programmer] AppleTalk Zone names

darth@athena.mit.edu (Darren T Garnier) (09/20/90)

How does the Chooser get the name of the various AppleTalk
zones?  I'd imagine that it would have to be with NBPLookup
with Zone = * and Name = * but what is the ObjType?  I'd imagine
that somehow the bridges register the name somehow, but as I'm not
connected to a multi-zone network I don't know.

Thanks.

Darren Garnier (darth@athena.mit.edu)

rmh@apple.com (Rick Holzgrafe) (09/20/90)

In article <1990Sep19.180153.26032@athena.mit.edu> darth@athena.mit.edu
(Darren T Garnier) writes:
> How does the Chooser get the name of the various AppleTalk
> zones?  I'd imagine that it would have to be with NBPLookup
> with Zone = * and Name = * but what is the ObjType?  I'd imagine
> that somehow the bridges register the name somehow, but as I'm not
> connected to a multi-zone network I don't know.

It's not done via NBPLookup; it's done by sending a special ATP request to
a nearby bridge. I've sent sample code to darth via e-mail. The code is in
MPW C and covers the use of the NBP calls as well as the zone lookup. If
anyone else is interested, write me and I'll either send you a copy or
just post the code to this group.

Rick Holzgrafe              |    {sun,voder,nsc,mtxinu,dual}!apple!rmh
Software Engineer           | AppleLink HOLZGRAFE1          rmh@apple.com
Apple Computer, Inc.        |  "All opinions expressed are mine, and do
20525 Mariani Ave. MS: 3-PK |    not necessarily represent those of my
Cupertino, CA 95014         |        employer, Apple Computer Inc."